Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

help ID these 4.0L items

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default help ID these 4.0L items

Hello,

My Name is Steve "N2IHC" T. and I am a retired USAF Crew Chief doing a You Tube video show. What I am doing is a step by step how to video with commentary on swapping a 4.0 head on a 4.2L 258 block.

Plan is to make this a step by step that shows every single part of the mod from start to turn key so that anyone can do it.

But, before I can start to put the videos together I must first learn how to do it myself. So here I come to you folks on a fact finding mission and I would like to ask y'all a few questions if I may?

if so here they are...

Here is the mess I started out with:

I think I have this one right:

Going to have to go Man valve body because I don't think there is a way to make my mech link kick down work.

think I have this one right as well:

here I have:
Plug1:
Plug 2:
Plug 3:
Part 1:
to ID.

White Plug:
Black Plug:
Blue all weather plug:
and 3 mystery wires:
to ID.

This seems easy enough but I don't want to assume.

99.9% sure I have this right:

My guess is "IN" or "return".

More plugs:

This right?

If this is right...it's a sensor that reports the engine temperature to the ECM

I will have to go looking for the broken part unless you can get them new for cheap.

Ouch time...

Plan to try and make this work with my 258ci.

Coil and some grounds.

Well that's about it for now. Thanks for any help you folks can give. Have a safe holiday!

N2IHC
Old 05-29-2011, 10:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993

Hello and welcome to the forum. I have some input on these photos but I just noticed this right before bed so will wait until tomorrow. I guess my only comment at this time is this all seems a LOT more detailed and involved than simply swapping a head. It almost looks like a complete motor swap. What are you hoping to accomplish by doing this swap?
Old 05-30-2011, 12:16 AM

It's basicly the same thing as putting a 345 head on a 392 for us. It better compression, around 30-40 more HP and it also gives me EFI and that is a huge bonus.

Also our engines (the V8 IH ones) are a whooping 450+ pounds! I like the small AMC 6 bangers...just my style I guess. IH put an AMC 258 in the Scout II from 1972-74. The kind I have is getting even harder to find. (mine has a 727TF Auto)

CJ and some older Cherokee folks also do this mod for the same reason. In fact that's where I got the idea. The only problem with some of those sites is that they don't touch every base. I plan to do this in my Vlog.

Some of the sites:

http://www.monsterslayer.com/pages/j...ead/40Head.htm

http://geocities.ws/035jeep/40L.html

http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/vi...bf082d8057ec3b

like I said, any help I can get will be great. I will be sure to mention what site I got the info from in my Vlogs as well. I know sometimes a Scout guy on a Jeep forum makes folks kinda shy away....I promise I won't bite.

PS: Oh I see what you mean...yea it does look like a rebuild. It kinda is the vlog is not just about the 4.0 swap. I am going to build a Scout on You Tube from frame to turn key. Basically cataloging every single day and every single thing I do on it. It's a shade tree low buck frame up.

Last edited by N2IHC; 05-30-2011 at 12:20 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:04 PM

Anyone have any thoughts?