Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

ford problems

Old 09-17-2014, 06:35 PM

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default ford problems

My daily driver is a 2001 ford taurus. A few days ago It almost overheated on me so I brought it to a shop to get the coolant changed because I had flushed it a few times before but it still looked bad so i figured that was the problem. After they flushed it the guy told me, that the previous owner must of ran it with straight water because the block was rusting so there was nothing to do to fix it. So basically I paid 90$ and got nothing fixed. When I went to drive my car away I noticed the belt was squeaking pretty loud so i went in and asked and they said "we must of spilled anti freeze on it, it should go away in a few hours". Well its been a week and they are refusing to fix it and it was fine when I went it so i figured I didn't need a new belt. I went and bought some belt dressing and put that on now its super loud. I have never heard a car this loud and its really embarrassing driving. Does anyone know what would be the cheapest way to fix this?
Old 09-18-2014, 12:28 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Take the belt off and clean all that "dressing" off. While it's off, spin all the pulleys
and take note of any roughness in them as you spin. You may have a bearing going
out. Make sure to check them all. You may need a new belt now.

while they may not be able to fix the rust, they're additives that will stop it from getting worse. Find another shop.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:31 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

What he said