Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

Daily Driver Dodge Neon, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97+
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Daily Driver Dodge Neon, HELP!

Hey guys I really need your help! Has anyone blown the timing belt on their 01 Neon?

Okay start laughing now, I have a 70 mile commute one way to work so I need the gas mileage of the Neon. Since it is broken down it is severely interfereing with the XJ build!

Here are the details:
I was doin 80 on the way to work and the timing belt went. Anyway, got her home and tore it all down and have the new belt on. I have the idiot marks at Top Dead Center for the number one piston. I pulled the valve cover to check out the valves and absolutely confirm that I was in fact at TDC. Anyway, the valves are all working properly when the engine is turned by hand. Now for the fun, all it does is crank, no start!

I really need to get this thing going and am pretty sure it is something stupid simple. Anyone had this problem before? I have "reset" the computer by disconnecting the battery. I have found a few Questions on-line referring to the reset of the cam and crank position sensors with a diagnostic tool but I have no idea.

Any help would be greatly welcomed, this repair has burned through my XJ project money and time really quickly.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

The belt broke? If it was running and the belt broke then the pistons would smash the valves that were currently open when the belt broke and the engine kept moving the piston and not the valves... sorry bud.. The reason it would start is the bent vales are making it not have any compression.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:54 PM

Okay, well the next thing I am going to do is attempt a compression test. Thank you for the response, I hope it doesn't come to pulling the head but really starting to look like it.

Thanks for your honest opinion
Old 11-25-2011, 12:00 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

No problem. I was going to say to do a compression test just to check the problem there. Good luck!
Old 11-26-2011, 03:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

I don't know if Neons are non interference engine, if they are then it shouldn't have bent valves. My friend's MR2 has a non int. engine and blew the timing belt last spring and still ran after that (until he blew the engine)
Old 11-26-2011, 03:36 AM

Year: 95
Model: Grand Cherokee

They are an interference engine, most likely you bent valves when it broke. A simple compression test will verify. The cheap way to repair is to buy the valves and lap them in yourself, or you can send the head out to a machine shop, or buy a reman.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:46 AM

Should have known that I could lap them in myself! Anyway, I will be going for one of the first two options. At least now with this knowledge I can just let the Neon sit till I can drum up the compression tester.

I can completely refocus my efforts on the XJ and finish up the stuff that doesn't require $.

I would like to thank everyone who has posted a reply to my question! This thread is absolutely for lack of a better description! Thanks again.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:36 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: straight 6 4.0

Gauranyee you bent 4 or 8 valves depending. On if its Soho. Or dohc when u replace valves u will need a new head gasket as well. Make sure to get new head bolts cause they stretch when they are torqued down. There are a ton of walkthroughs on replacing valves the valves spring compressors are tough to find one to fit. Just follow directions you find don't have the links to the one I used on my rebuild. Good luck.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:38 PM

Thanks for all the help guys! Anyone ever got a junk compression tester from Auto Zone? Just wondering because my #1 and #2 pistons are reading 0 psi. I quit at this point because I had to get ready for work.

Also, the engine is a 2.0 SOHC with 16 valves
Old 12-04-2011, 09:44 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: straight 6 4.0

You turned it over by hand I am assuming what about the other 2. Cylinders. Check out some neon forums they will be able to help better than us. Again good luck
Old 12-04-2011, 09:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

Dig around and see if it is the Mitsubishi 2.0 I got a 95 sebring with a blown belt- easy fix, right? Hahahaha nope ended up with a sideways valve trying to go through the hole that was a big ol moneypit if I ever saw one. Sorry to hear that though.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:51 PM

Year: 2001

I'd bet he had one of the cams 180 deg out. Easy thing to do. I've replaced (literally) hundreds of broken 2.0 Dodge timing belts and very few have had bent valves.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:57 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: Gas

I know on the SRT the valves don't hit the pistons but they will hit each other.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:59 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by ETexas XJ
I'd bet he had one of the cams 180 deg out. Easy thing to do. I've replaced (literally) hundreds of broken 2.0 Dodge timing belts and very few have had bent valves.
The mitsubishi engines tend to go clunk though
Old 12-04-2011, 10:18 PM

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by Greenfishinkayak
The mitsubishi engines tend to go clunk though
Yup. The Itchynookie motor is a different animal.

He has a 2.0 DOHC Dodge motor. They are also labeled as interference engines as well but for the most part when they break a belt things seem to "snap" to a neutral position and the pistons miss the valves.

You can put one on with one cam in 180 out and it won't run but won't hurt anything either. I bet that's what happened here.

Quick Reply: Daily Driver Dodge Neon, HELP!