COMMANDER for off roading - Jeep Cherokee Forum

Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

COMMANDER for off roading

Old 11-28-2017, 11:31 AM

Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default COMMANDER for off roading

Hello all,
Looking for something big enough to stretch out and sleep in the back. Cherokees and G-C's seem a little short. Any thoughts on Commanders? Also heard someone talk about Commandos.
Thanks.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:53 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0

Commanders were short lived, but great platforms. Be unique and build one! I would love to have one. The Jeepster Commando is a fairly rare truck/cross model from the FSJ era.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:52 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

I'd say it depends on what/where you want to be able to go with it. If you want to go serious off-road with it, I'd really look at the aftermarket world and see what's available for that platform. Because if not, you're going to be fabbing a lot of parts on your own as 1 offs and that could get pricey, especially if you're not doing it yourself.

Interesting idea though.. I would think plenty of room in the back of one of those to stretch out in. For me a Cherokee works just fine.. I'm not looking for 4 star accommodations... just to be off the ground and away from some of the potentially nasty critters that could ruin your shut-eye.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:09 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0

Good for light wheeling that's about it
Old 12-10-2017, 09:20 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by RocketMouse View Post
I'm not looking for 4 star accommodations... just to be off the ground and away from some of the potentially nasty critters that could ruin your shut-eye.
Most important for us is not having a loud tent flapping in the wind all night. Never could sleep decent in a tent just because of this. lol