Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

Chevy wheel bearings need fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 05:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L upgraded charging system & blue top, flowmaster 44, hi flow cat and two core rad.
Default Chevy wheel bearings need fix

Hey everybody, I just left the shop with my chevy silverado and they tell me both front wheel bearings need replaced. They wanted like $1,600, so it looks like I get to learn how to change them myself. So here's the question does anybody know how to change these? I'm thinking the only special tools I'll need is a big socket of the right size (not sure on size yet) and a large torque wrench which I should alreay have(130ft lbs). Thanks for any help with this one, it's my work truck so it can't be down long.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Illuminator
Hey everybody, I just left the shop with my chevy silverado and they tell me both front wheel bearings need replaced. They wanted like $1,600, so it looks like I get to learn how to change them myself. So here's the question does anybody know how to change these? I'm thinking the only special tools I'll need is a big socket of the right size (not sure on size yet) and a large torque wrench which I should alreay have(130ft lbs). Thanks for any help with this one, it's my work truck so it can't be down long.
I've never done a Silverado but recently did the wheel bearings on my Trailblazer SS AWD so I'd imagine it close to the same. 36 or 38mm socket and a BFH. My first one took me 2 hours start to finish. After removing it, putting the old one back on, pulling the old one off again and installing another one...I got it down to 30 minutes with air tools. Of course that's with it fresh in my head and bolts weren't gunked up.

I'd strongly recommend spending the extra coin and getting Timken bearings. I've used both AutoZone and CarQuest house brands only to have Stabilitrack issues. Installed the Timken FTW. Rock Auto has the best price.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:43 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L upgraded charging system & blue top, flowmaster 44, hi flow cat and two core rad.

Originally Posted by GMTURBO

I've never done a Silverado but recently did the wheel bearings on my Trailblazer SS AWD so I'd imagine it close to the same. 36 or 38mm socket and a BFH. My first one took me 2 hours start to finish. After removing it, putting the old one back on, pulling the old one off again and installing another one...I got it down to 30 minutes with air tools. Of course that's with it fresh in my head and bolts weren't gunked up.

I'd strongly recommend spending the extra coin and getting Timken bearings. I've used both AutoZone and CarQuest house brands only to have Stabilitrack issues. Installed the Timken FTW. Rock Auto has the best price.
Thanks for the info, gonna try to knock it out this weekend. Trailblazer ss, sounds nice!
Old 08-04-2011, 07:28 PM

It really isn't too bad of a job. Once you're in there it starts to make sense. Some of the clips for the wheel speed sensor were a pain to get out. Figure $400 bucks for both wheel bearings, a socket and a 6-pack is cheaper than paying the dealer.

The SS is the wife's ride.

Last edited by GMTURBO; 08-04-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:52 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks for the encouragement. Looking forward to being done with it.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:47 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Wheel bearings on a C or K truck are pretty simple. As stated from others, The worst part is the clips that brake off in the upper control arms. They are just plastic and a straight pick or a drill bit will get them out. Other wise its nothing to fear. In order to make it easier on yourself (if its 4WD) push the CV shaft through first (wont come out of the hub) but will give you room in order to get the top bolt out of the hub.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:30 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by bmxkid415
Wheel bearings on a C or K truck are pretty simple. As stated from others, The worst part is the clips that brake off in the upper control arms. They are just plastic and a straight pick or a drill bit will get them out. Other wise its nothing to fear. In order to make it easier on yourself (if its 4WD) push the CV shaft through first (wont come out of the hub) but will give you room in order to get the top bolt out of the hub.
Thanks for the reply, it's a 2 wheel drive so perhaps less complicated than a four wheel drive. I read in my chiltons manual that the caliber mounting bracket bolts are to be torqued to 221ft-lb. That's alot of torque I'm a little concerned about getting that much torque on them.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0 litre

I did one a few weeks ago on my brothers zr2 blazer. It wasn't too bad. 2 wheel drive will probably be easier.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:43 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jeep bandit
I did one a few weeks ago on my brothers zr2 blazer. It wasn't too bad. 2 wheel drive will probably be easier.
Thanks, I'm hoping it goes smoothly, planning to fix it tomorrow, parts coming in the morning.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:48 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Are they press-in? If they are press in make SURE that the guy pressing them into the hub isn't a redkneck dumbass.. i had to do a wheel bearing on my girlfriends contour and the idiot broke 3 bearing trying to press it into the hub... i told him to **** off went to another place and they got it right the FIRST time. I also recommend the timken bearings.. very high quality. Another good choice is national seal. Don't buy some duracrap bearings.. unless you like replacing them every month.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

1) timken as stated

2) it is easy if you take your time

3) a 45-250 ft. lb. torque wrench will be your friend. best thing I ever bought with 6 pay checks! (snap-on tools)
Old 08-06-2011, 09:48 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks to all who replied, put on the new wheel bearings today. Noise is gone. It wasn't really a hard job, went pretty easy.
Attached Thumbnails Chevy wheel bearings need fix-image-3151455242.jpg   Chevy wheel bearings need fix-image-4230845130.jpg  

Last edited by Illuminator; 08-06-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:55 PM

Good stuff. Like I said, it all kinda makes sense once you're in there. I'm sure the 2WD made it a bit easier.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:59 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

looks good. what do you have for a "dud stub" on the 2wd model.

because that is a 4wd wheel bearing (notice it is splined) just curious if it is like the jeep dud stubs
Old 08-06-2011, 10:05 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 96_xj
looks good. what do you have for a "dud stub" on the 2wd model.

because that is a 4wd wheel bearing (notice it is splined) just curious if it is like the jeep dud stubs
I believe they fit both 2 and 4 wheel drive, so they can make one part thats more universal, thus saving them money.

Quick Reply: Chevy wheel bearings need fix