Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

89Renix's Evo8 Build Up :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 05:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 89Renix's Evo8 Build Up :)

First of all, HATERSGUNNAHATE

I bought this on 12/21/11 So bear with me, as of now ive been typing it up on my laptop, so ill be adding my progress as i go

First of all, it was a salvage title i picked up for $10,500, done deal

Teardown :

Once we had her up in the air I was really able to inspect things and saw work to be done. There was zero serious damage (phew) but we were overdue for a timing belt, all the suspension bushings were shot, the steering rack was dripping fluid, trans fluid was wayy overdue metal chunks in the trans fluid, you get the idea... I had this absurd idea I could somehow get an evo, leave it mostly stock for a while to drive around, then modify it once I got some time... well reality prevailed and within 3 hours of working on the car my shop floor looked like this:

^^so much for "ill just keep the evo a stock daily driver for a little while"

Last edited by 89Renix; 12-30-2011 at 05:26 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:22 AM

^quick fabricated slide hammer to pull shafts easily

Ive made the decision that if im going to build this evo, I do not have the time or patience to build this car twice. Im building it once, and doing it right the first time. I am 100% keeping the car my daily driver and I intend to keep this car for many years to come. I already have (2) race cars and do not need a third. I need a car with a/c and 4 functional doors... that happens to be very very fast. I'd like for it to use the same rims/tires as my race car (18x10.5 + 275/35/18) and convert every bushing in the chassis to a spherical bearing. Also stiffen the chassis and widen the track width as much as possible... without giving up creature comforts. I decided to stitch weld 80% of the belly. There are some spots i will not get to because i dont have the time to drop the gas tank and fuel/brake lines, but whatever. i did a LOT of the underside, and will get to the inside when i do a mini-cage

^^^BEFORE stitch welding, pass side

^^^after stitch welding, pass side

^^replacement evo 9 steering rack going into it's new home
Old 12-30-2011, 05:25 AM

^^^evo X lca installed, Perrin PSRS installed, Whiteline RCA, and (1) custom adjustable length swaybar endlink (only 1 is needed!! the other can stay stock)

^^ready to go back in the car

***this is the tricky part of the evo X front lca swap***

^^^^the steering rack's stock evo Tierods are just not wide enough to properly set toe on this setup. The combination of wider front LCA's, more caster (perrin) and more tire clearance means that we need a longer tie rod. In order to set the toe at zero, there will need to be extensions made. I fabricated some and cut the stock tie rods down. I will probably make my own tie rods next time around.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:25 AM

This is all you get so far
Old 12-30-2011, 10:24 AM

Year: 99

EVO ...I have a soft spot for these in particular. Almost bought an Banana yellow Evo 8 myself a few years back. I still want an 8, mainly because insurance companies dont recognize the 8 as a sports car and the insurance rate is cheap.

Seems like you have a idea where your suspension is going...any thoughts on the engine? Granted with a tune and a couple bolt ons they can boot, but I mean you doooo have the engine out

Either way I'll be watching this.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Year: 2000

nice! you tore right into that thing huh? Whats up with the s14 in the frist pics?
Old 12-30-2011, 08:43 PM

The s14 is a buddy of mines. Its getting an rb26 swap

But yes, 7 mile trailer drag and right to the lift, I can't give away the engine stuff yet so you need to hold your horses. I will tell you one thing. I'm hoping for 550awhp
Old 01-02-2012, 02:59 AM

The ARK Designs evoX happens to be on the lift next to my evo while we prototyped the Full-Race Evo X turbokits

so with this evoX next to my evo8 I started wondering which parts from the X would swap to the 8/9? Fast forward and I happened to meet up with the legendary Robi Fuller of Robispec fame @ my close friend Don's shop, Straightline Automotive. I started picking Robi's brain about the suspension setup for my new daily driver evo 8. I told him my plan to get the chassis fully sorted and he was with me 100%. Then I mentioned the evo X being next to my 8 and suddenly a big smile broke out... the top secret robispec recipe was to use the complete Robispec spherical bearing kit for the rear susp, and using wider evo X front lower control arms ( evoX LCA is a direct swap !!) and eliminate the compliance bushing with a perrin PSRS add caster unit to fit bigger rims/tires and increase caster. Then he suggested to further improve suspension geometry with whiteline roll center kit. Fortunately for me Mike@Touge Factory already had a whiteline kit sent out to me with their steering rack bushings so after calling Jeff Perrin for his PSRS kit I was ready to do work!

FRONT Suspension Arms: ROBISPEC, Perrin PSRS + caster, Whiteline RCA and Steering Precision kit from Touge Factory

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am using the Stance GR+Pro *special setting damper* - softer springs, additional spring-seat-washers, upgraded spherical bearing top caps, 10k front springs, 12k rear springs (down from 12k, 14k). These are good dampers for the money, IMHO the best bang for the buck out. I do not like many of the other cheaper generic JDM brand coilovers on the market

Transmission/Differentials: TRE Stage 2

This will be my daily driver so while its not built to be making a ton of power - i will be around the 600whp mark and do not want to deal with any transmission/driveline problems. I wanted to get the best transmission service available for my application. After speaking with some OEM Engineer friends and doing research - shotpeening driveline components has a huge improvement on strength. some good info here from mitsubishi: http://www.shotpeener.com/library/pdf/1990027.pdf
and from nissan: http://www.shotpeener.com/library/pdf/1990090.pdf

I've never once before come across an independent transmission rebuilder who had a legitimate shot-peening setup until TRE.. the only places that have these are massive OE mfg's, shotpeen/metal treatment specific shops or universities. This is a huge $$ investment and really sets apart those who do shootpeen transmission internals and those who do not.

The transmission is being built as a TRE STAGE 2 rebuild and will receive everything listed here, http://www.teamrip.com/TRE%20EVOLUTI...20SERVICE.html TRE replaced the following parts:

EVO-9 input shaft
EVO-9 1st gear
EVO-9 2nd gear
EVO-8 5th gear

The previous owner did not practice proper maintenance so some small damage occurred to the gears. It needed a replacement input shaft and 2nd gear because the teeth were damaged by debris and left some nasty dents on the input shaft. The 5th gear on the input shaft must be replaced with the later part number because the EVO-9 input shaft won't work with the older 5th gear. It will still be a EVO-8 5th gear ratio, just a new input shaft 5th gear.

Driveshaft shop driveshaft -- this is used to replace the worn/sloppy carrier bearings and remove a ton of rotating mass. Frank @ the Driveshaftshop has a brand new high speed balancer that makes their driveshafts have less vibrations than ever before

Engine top end: HeadGames Motorworks "Valve job w/ light cleanup" + Kiggly "Beehive" Valve springs + Ferrea Valves + AMS Intake manifold + Kelford 272 cams

Kevin @ Kiggly and Dave @ Headgames truly know the 4G63 cyl head, inside and out. Kevin believes very strongly that the evo cyl head is a great head from the factory, so with some very light cleanup and a top notch valve job ***NOT PORTING*** this head will really excel for the application at hand (NOT a drag race or big dyno build). new valve seals, AMS Intake Manifold, mil-spec oversize stock TB with new seals

Engine Bottom End:
JE Pistons' new Asymmetrical FSR design are the latest and greatest from the brainiacs over there. They have redesigned their evo pistons to have more surface area on the load surface, and less surface area (for less friction) on the other. Manley Rods 150mm (to keep things simple, these are some rods from my friends old motor, he went 156mm rods), AMS balance shaft eliminator (to support the oil pump), ACL Bearings, OE mitsubishi gasket kit and oil pump, Gates Racing timing belt. Keegan engineering performed the machine work & shortblock assy.

fuel setup for daily driver E85 (our neighbors are an e85 station)
ignition: HKS DLI (thanks philthy!!)
Walbro 400LPH intank fuel pump
ID 2000cc injectors
stock fuel rail, lines, regulator, filter

TURBO KIT

BorgWarner EFR turbo, twinscroll manifold, turbine housing a/r and wastegate config TBD...

BUT!!!!!! ~~~~~~~~~~~

After i saw someone posting the hta3076 singlescroll beats out the 7670 twinscroll, i literally bought a 7670 twinscroll back from a customer to run it on my 2.0L evo. unfortunately someone else needed it more than I did, so i had to sell the turbo without being able to test. The car was just about ready to fire up when i had to leave to work, so yeah
Old 01-02-2012, 02:59 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4L

my good friend's evo8

610awhp

from left to right.

WRX with jap sti swap, e36 M3, B5 S4, Evo8, e39 M5
Old 01-05-2012, 10:13 AM

Year: 99

Originally Posted by 89Renix
This will be my daily driver so while its not built to be making a ton of power - i will be around the 600whp mark
You Sir are living the life....this statement made me crack up and cry at the same time

How does the salvage title thing work in your area. I always thought, at least here in MA, that once it considered salvage it can no longer be registered?

Last edited by mtadd162; 01-05-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:39 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

I'm not a Mitsubishi guy at all but this thing looks great and I see that you're putting a ton of work into it. Looks good and keep up the great work.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 High Output

Loving the build and the EVO, I'm a big fan of EVO 5's and 6's but if done right I love newer ones. Cant wait to see some more
Old 01-05-2012, 06:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by 89Renix
The s14 is a buddy of mines. Its getting an rb26 swap
Sorry to thread jack but can we get some pics of the RB26 S14? My favorite engine in one of my favorite cars right there.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:48 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L

OMG!!! DROOL!! i would give an internal organ for an EVO i really want an 06 MR i test drove one a few years back but i was trading in a fast car looking to slow myself down so an EVO was a no go lol. nice pickup man make sure u keep us posted on this build. id take an EVO over an Lambo anyday of the week ive got such a soft spot for them
Old 01-06-2012, 10:59 PM

Cool

[quote=DaveVmax;1431052]my good friend's evo8
THAT EVO IS A WICKED SEMI SLEEPER!!!! Your friend has a good eye

Originally Posted by mtadd162
You Sir are living the life....this statement made me crack up and cry at the same time

How does the salvage title thing work in your area. I always thought, at least here in MA, that once it considered salvage it can no longer be registered?
Never thought about comedy for a living, I guess I should ahah. And when you salvage a car in CALI it just means its been in an accident and the insurance company didn’t want to spend their money. They still sell and buy the same as a new one, thankfully
Originally Posted by concretecowboy
I'm not a Mitsubishi guy at all but this thing looks great and I see that you're putting a ton of work into it. Looks good and keep up the great work.
I appreciate it concrete  ive never been a Mitsu guy myself, ive always loved the wrx

Originally Posted by XxXJ99xX
Loving the build and the EVO, I'm a big fan of EVO 5's and 6's but if done right I love newer ones. Cant wait to see some more
thanks man, and cheers
Originally Posted by mrfajita
Sorry to thread jack but can we get some pics of the RB26 S14? My favorite engine in one of my favorite cars right there.
:whislting2: we shall see ahah, it’s a buddies project when he unveils it on his forums ill post some pictures, there may be some double agents on here
Originally Posted by papaj
OMG!!! DROOL!! i would give an internal organ for an EVO i really want an 06 MR i test drove one a few years back but i was trading in a fast car looking to slow myself down so an EVO was a no go lol. nice pickup man make sure u keep us posted on this build. id take an EVO over an Lambo anyday of the week ive got such a soft spot for them
Well then, I may need a liver soon ahah ill make sure to hold you too that ahah

AS FOR THE REST OF YOU. THERE WILL BE MORE TO COME... Hopefully Tomorrow

Quick Reply: 89Renix's Evo8 Build Up :)