Old 09-21-2015, 02:06 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension
Print Wikipost

Broke your rear shock mounting bolts? Easy replacement guide.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 95, 00
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Both 4.0L
Default Broke your rear shock mounting bolts? Easy replacement guide.

Ok so most everyone has run into the dreaded "Broken Shock Bolts" in their XJ careers and after having them break on 3 different XJ's and drilling them out on 2 and beginning to drill them out on the third, I went the "Punch out the nut and fish new bolts through" route. I must say it is one heck of a lot easier than drilling the bolts out and re-tapping.

Here is a step by step guide with some pictures.

Total time needed, about 30min begining to end.

Items needed:
Impact hammer/Air Chisel (About $14 at Harbor Freight and comes with an assortment of bits)
Extendable magnet tool
Replacement nuts, bolts, washers and lock washers. I used 1" 3/8-16, plenty of reach.
Proper socket & wrench to match the bolts you picked up.
Long needle nose pliars
Fixens for Chili

1) Go ahead and start a pot of chili, it always tastes better when you are done working on the XJ.

2) Get out your air chisel and load a pointed tip into it. Place the tip right on the broken bolt and give the trigger a few quick pulls, the nut and what is left of the bolt will pop right out.

3) Get one of your bolts and add a lock washer and washer to it in that order and put it on the end of your extendable magnet.

4) fish the bolt up throgh the opening on the inside of where the shock mount spot is located. Red Arrow/Yellow arrow indicate the spots. (I forgot to take a pick as I was doing this.)

5) Thread the nuts and washers on and tighten down finger tight. Get your wrench out and needle nose pliars and grab the end of the bolt with the pliars and tighten the nut with your wrench. Once the lock washer engages you can put your socket wrench on it and tighten it down.

6) Go inside and have some chili and pat yourself on the back for a job well done!

PS: Don't rag on my $24.99 Monroe Gas-o-Matics, they are an interim add-on until I can squirrel away enough money for a lift kit.