Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Won't shift from 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Cool Won't shift from 1st gear

My 2005 JGC, AWD, will not shift out of first gear now. It's been an ongoing issue since I bought the car. Originally started with all of the gears lighting up. [P][R][N][D] Usually if I wait a second, they'll go away and no issue is present. Yesterday, it started to not want to go away and randomly wouldn't shift out of first gear. I brought it to shop and they said my shifter code came up, a few codes actually, but that it has a Mercedes tranny in it. Said Chrystler started putting them in. But he said tranny needs replaced for 2825. FYI: no quote on any of the other codes. I'm highly doubting that it needs a new tranny as I drove it to his shop. It seems to be a common problem, but there are so many forum posts that it's hard to narrow down my search. From your JGC experiences, does that sound like tranny needs rebuilt? It's been doing this since I bought the car. I'm going to try cleaning the ESM tonight.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

I don't work on trannys but I have torn up quite a few of them over the years. It's been my experience that tranny rebuild shops nearly always go for the big bucks when diagnosing and repairing your vehicle. What I would do in your case is shell out the hundred dollars or so a Jeep dealership will charge you to diagnose the problem and get their repair estimate. They have highly skilled mechanics who have very extensive experience in working on your particular transmission and a network of other mechanics and service personel to help them if they need it.

These late model transmissions are way over complicated and hideously expensive so that really is the best advice I can give you. Your problem sounds like it is more electrical than mechanical in nature probably easily and relatively inexpensively repairable by a qualified and experienced mechanic with the right diagnostic tools and software tailored specifically to your make and model .

Last edited by Cleman Simpson; 02-17-2017 at 09:00 PM.