Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

wont run when warm

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 8
Default wont run when warm

I have a 96 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 5.2L, 4x4, with 170000 miles. I just bought it and it had sat up for almost a year. Upon the first drive, it felt as though the brakes were sticking. If you took your foot off the accelerator, it would grind to a quick halt, almost as if the brakes were being applied. This only happened once the car warmed up. I replaced the brake booster and serviced the rotors and calipers. Driving it again, the first 5 miles were great. Got up to 55 and it started chattering with subsequent loss of power. I pulled over, saw a little smoke from under the hood and it had a metallic burning smell. I managed to creep another mile while flooring the accelerator and going 20 mph. The water in the radiator was extremely hot, even the transmission cooling tubes were hot. The car would not move forward or backward but the engine ran on smoothly. After leaving it for a day, it started right back up and made it another 4 miles before the symptoms reappeared. The tranny has been replaced a year ago not sure if that included the torque converter or not. Any ideas?