Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

WJ upper arm swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 12:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter
Default WJ upper arm swap

I swapped WJ upper front arms on my ZJ today. The old uppers were eBay junk that I bought three years ago. They were flimsy pieces of crap and the sleeve in the bushing came out of the rubber on both arms. The new WJ arms are WAY beefier! I got them both from www.rockauto.com for less than 70 bucks shipped to my door, O'Reilly's had them listed for 65 each. I did have to bend the pinch weld up on the "frame" under the arm mount, and grind the weld on the bushing end the arm flush for the arm to have unrestricted movement. It was a fight to get the bolts through the axle end of the arms, it required a ratchet strap and a lot of swearing, but the end result was worth it. The handling really tightened up and the front end feels more planted. The front axle didn't even feel like it was connected to the Jeep with the old stamped flexi-flier arms. Super happy with this mod, I highly recommend it if you're in need of new bushings or arms. I'm going to swap in WJ lowers in the next few weeks, that should really make a difference for the better.

The new

The old style junk

the soon to be lower arms

Last edited by Bustedback; 09-24-2013 at 12:13 AM.