Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

WJ Emergency Brake Clock Spring

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default WJ Emergency Brake Clock Spring

Emergency brake cable snapped ... replacing all went good until i got to the part where you need to re-tension the clock spring.
This is the only video i could find on youtube of how to do it ... surely there must be another way ... does anyone know an easier way?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLKbUzMy0F4
Old 11-14-2017, 10:09 AM

Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Petrol

I had the same problem and gave up after about an hour - ended up buying a brake lever assembly complete with the short cable from someone breaking a Jeep WJ for parts.

Still have the replacement cable I bought and the old brake lever, may take another look at it someday.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:42 AM

Model: Cherokee

Got it done in the end, not with the method in the video though.
First you need to get it so the clutch wheel (not sure my terminology is right here) can rotate through a full 360 degrees without getting stopped by anything. You do this by by ensuring the lock claw (again not sure on terminology) sits on its pin, and not above it as it is by default.
Then, start to rotate the clutch wheel, the further you rotate the more it tensions the clock spring and the harder it gets, i manged to turn it a full 360 degrees by pushing it with with a screw driver. Once there hold it under tension, and with the other hand fit the cable into its mounting.
Hope that helps somebody else.