Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

WJ '02 4.7L Power Steering Issue

Old 05-03-2014, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default WJ '02 4.7L Power Steering Issue

Bottom Line Up Front:
I replaced my power steering pump, turned the Jeep on, bled the steering by turning to just before the stops at least 10 times, added fluid til full, but the PSP is making a VERY loud whining noise when I rev the engine. Any ideas?

The Epic Journey:

So no ****, there I was, enjoying a beautiful day in Northern Utah romping down some dirt/mud roads on my home from testing out some new gadgets on my rifle. I had just gotten back on to the paved residential roads and I heard a loud whirring noise. I assumed it was just mud stuck in my SOMETHING and that it would go away, so I figured I'd limp it home and if it was still making noise, I'd check it out.

I got about two miles away and had just turned onto the main thorough-fare, a two lane 55mph highway, when the whirring became almost intolerable, and a moment later, my engine temp spiked and Jeep shut down. I pulled over, let it cool down for a bit, then went to limp the last 1/4 mile to a gas station up ahead. As I got to the gas station, the power steering went out!

I had it towed to the Jeep dealership (which I had passed and not noticed because I was so focused on what was wrong with the Jeep!), and $100 later, they told me that my power steering pulley and my radiator were broken. I STILL don't know how I did either of those things, because I was actually being really careful in the mud. I had previously replaced my radiator and it wasn't too big a deal (certainly not worth the $600 to have Jeep do it!), and I figured the power steering pullley couldn't be THAT hard to replace!

So I went home, ordered the parts, waited patiently for them to arrive, and started working on my Jeep. I started to pull the radiator, but when I was wrenching on the top high pressure hose fitting for the transmission oil cooler, the big fitting attached to the radiator broke loose first, twisted the little metal pipe and broke it. I figured it would be no big deal til I called Jeep.... $200 part. And no one else in the world apparently carries them....

Anyhow, I pulled the radiator out, and after watching a YouTube video on replacing a power steering pulley, figured I may as well do that while the radiator was out and the fan was easily moved. I went to the store and bought the $60 PS pulley puller, hooked it up as per the instructions and started to go to town.......Until I sheared the lip right off the damn pulley!!

So back to the store to buy a whole new PSP....
I bought the one without the reservoir because I the one I had was fine. I put the old reservoir on the new PSP, and installed it. I got the new radiator in with no problems, topped off all the fluids and giddily fired up the Jeep, man card in hand ready to be stamped! Until I looked under the car and saw the RAPIDLY growing puddle of power steering fluid spread across my driveway. :brick wall:: brickwall:

Turns out, there is an O-ring that goes between the PWP and the reservoir!
Now, one would think that, logically, such an O-ring would be included with a new PSP that does not come with the reservoir attached. One would be wrong.
So off to the store, where I found out that no one in my little, podunk town carries the seal kit. BUT, it could be there the next day. So I ordered the O-ring and waited. I finally got the call, got the part and a new bottle of power steering fluid, went home, pulled the PSP off, again, added the O-ring, put it all back together, topped off the fluid, again, and fired the Jeep up.

No leak this time! I bled the system as I've seen suggested on this forum, by turning the wheel from one side to the other about 10 times and adding fluid when it was needed. The problem now, is that is making that same horrifying whirring noise that it did right before it broke last time! It has quieted down significantly at idle, but when I get the RPMs up, it is LOUD!

So....any ideas? How I can I fix this and FINALLY get my Jeep back! My German Shepherd is getting VERY tired of sharing my two seat Honda with me.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:10 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

first thing, when it is making this noise, is the steering assist lacking or feel right?
second, while you had the belt off the pump to change it, did you try and see if the other pulleys and such turn freely with out noise or binding?
third, I do believe there is a tsb about the inline powersteering oil cooler becoming clogged and causing excessive heat which damages the pump.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:14 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

4th, I know for a fact that the power steering pumps used on the 4.7L are weak from the get go, but they are only designed to produce 1250 to 1450psi for assist. also, the pressure relief port is part of the pump, where the high pressure line screws in, these plug very easily and I have seen many that were bad right out of the box because the pumps are rebuilt but the check valves are only cleaned and reused if they pass a simple bench test...not good enough in most cases. You also need to completely clean the inside of the reservoir and verify that fluid flows out of the return port freely, it has a built in 80 micron screen that gets plugged up over time.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:39 PM

The steering is fine. It doesn't feel any different than it should. There's just that horrible whining noise!

I did not check the other pulleys, but I"ll pull the belt off again and check since it is easy enough to do.
Old 05-25-2021, 11:38 AM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Power steering poblem

So I've changed my power steering pump because it was leaking and making a strange noise. I actually changed it twice because I didn't realize the new one had a crack in it. Popped a pressure hose immediately afterwards ,twice. Then changed the power steering gear box. Got it all together and now that power steering is extremely hard to turn, but the noise is gonna and it doesn't leak anymore. I'm so stumped. Pleas help.
Old 05-25-2021, 03:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Shat kind of oil are you using?