Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Wiring and Vacuum help

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Wiring and Vacuum help

I just got my hands on a 95 Grand Cherokee that was the victim of an engine fire. For the most part it seems to have been contained to the left side of the engine bay but it more or less toasted all the wiring and connectors on that side of the engine as well as the vacuum lines. I've got a decent idea what's going on but I'm having trouble finding a good wiring and vacuum diagrams. I'd love to have something that labels the engine bay with sensor locations as well as denotes colors for wires and then another diagram for where all the vacuum goes to and comes from.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:12 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L Magnum V8 220hp 285ft-lbs

Welcome to the forum.

Which engine?

Get a FSM, it is required for the vehicle. My preference is the printed volume, but I also have the PDF.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:55 PM

Can images please be posted showing the problems?
Old 12-05-2017, 03:20 PM

It's the 5.2 and I can get a few of what's remaining to fix of the wiring. I got the injectors, MAP, TPS and IAC figured out. Oil Pressure and Coolant temp are also wired back in. I think one or two of the remaining is A/C but I'm still left with a couple extras including the one way back under the cowl.
Also basically all the vacuum was ripped out because it was melted beyond recognition.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the images.

The "easy" option would be to yank those parts off a donor vehicle.

Here are some images from mu '94 that may be helpful.

Again, get the FSM. It is required.

The TSB 18-48-98 for the spark plug wire routing should be implemented.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:05 PM

Where can I get the fsm from? The pictures, as nice as they are, are probably not going to be very helpful since there aren't bare wires so I can't see colors. Very pretty engine though.
I did yank a harness off a junk vehicle but it's missing basically what I have left to figure out. I got most of where I am now by matching stuff off the old to the donor harness.
I'm going to try to tackle vacuum tonight. I'm guessing some of the wires remaining are off the vacuum pump or whatever that thing was that lived by the firewall and got melted to bits so maybe that will reduce confusion.

Last edited by SOCOPiranha; 12-05-2017 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Forgot stuff
Old 12-05-2017, 05:12 PM

Here is a complete set of '95 service manuals.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:20 PM

Sorry, I don't understand.

It looks like the engine wiring harness is being restored.

If so, then why not just grab the entire, intact, engine wiring harness from a donor vehicle, then plug and play?
Old 12-05-2017, 05:26 PM

I thought I had a full harness, I cut it off the donor vehicle by the transmission because I was in the dirt and it was cold but I had planned on just replacing the melted portions. I may have to start over and see if I can just get a complete harness but I feel like I'm only a couple wires from being done so I don't really want to go that route.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:29 PM

Also not really willing to spend a hundred and twenty bucks on service manuals for probably a couple hours of work. I don't really plan on keeping this jeep, I'm going to try to flip it and maybe pick up a wrangler.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:34 PM

The engine harness connects / disconnects from the vehicle at the PCM.

The harness connects to each of the components w/ a connector, that unplugs while releasing the catch.

Please accept my 25 cent wager that there is NO way to get the vehicle to operate properly from that patchwork engine harness.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:38 PM

Well it mostly ran with it all melted so I'm hoping for the best lol.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:45 AM

Default Update

Alright so I've gotten further on the vacuum issue - it's been a long week and I haven't had much chance until tonight to work on it. I didn't realize how many systems use the same hosing, i just assumed it was all vacuum but there's also EGR and EVAP. I made up a few crude diagrams to help myslef better understand what's going on and realized I have some questions, particularly with the EGR system. I broke it all down into the disparate systems - as best I could tell anyway.
First "system" Line runs from EVAP Canister (I think) beneath battery tray - Tee off to Cruise control motor - Tee off for HVAC system - Into intake on right side
Question here is what, if any of this has check valves?
Second Hose - PCV to Intake (pretty easy)
Third Hose - Intake to Brake Booster (also easy)
Fourth Hose - Intake - Evap Purge Solenoid - Evap something or other under the Left headlight.

This leaves the vacuum and similar systems hoses with one glaring omission. The EGR set up. The EGR transducer has a single inlet that says VAC. Am I correct to assume that this attaches to the third open port on the right side of the intake and are there are any check valves?
The right side intake also has another open port with the other two vacuum ports, should this be capped or does it go anywhere?

Lastly there seems to be a difference in what i think was the old Evap purge solenoid and the new one. the old one has three ports on it, one capped with a filter and the new one just has two lines. Does this matter? Also I say I assume that's what this thing was because well this is what I found.
Attached Thumbnails Wiring and Vacuum help-20171209_193912.jpg