Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

What to do to have a GC that last some years?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 06:06 AM
pwb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default What to do to have a GC that last some years?

Hi, i have a 1993 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L that has run 160.000+ miles. This is our extra car to use in situations where we dont want to use our other cars, running on bad roads to horse riding and use it on the winter on places with much snow. Its ride okey and the oils level are okey and the oils looks and smells okey.
It dont leak any oil or other stuff, i can park it for a week and theres not any oil on the ground. The only leak is from the bottom of the radiator, but that not much, 1/2 liter in 3 weeks. The engine is very dirty, but it runs nice and the old spark plugs was in good condition. The previouse owner did replace the catalityc converter and the rear exhaust the last year.

This is what i have done
1. replaced spark plugs and wire
2. replaced distributor cap and rotor

This is what i gona do
1. replace CV joint boot (the left is damaged)
2. replace suspension shock absorbers since one of them is in bad condition and they havent been replaced before i think
3. Master seal kit for the rear dif (Dana 35) since its leak a litle oil on to the axel.
4. replace control arm bushing front and rear
5. replace temperatur sending unit (temperatur gauge), if its possible?
6. Change oil and filter on the engine
7. Fix the windows whisper motor (front),it dont go back to stop and the interval dont work, maybe only some bad ground?
8. replace air intake filter

This is what i maybe do this summer or wait to the next summer
1. Replace/fix radiator
2. replace more bushings
3. Fix the A/C, i think its empty. Is there som way to prevent the compressos clutch from trying to start the A/C?
4. Change oil and filter on the transmission
5. Change oil on front dif.
6. Replace the springs and get 1" lift, the shocks that i have ordered can be used from 0-3" lift.

Is this okey or should i do it in some other order or do something more? The cars only gona run 2-3000 miles a year and i hope it will run for 4-5 years. Maybe replace some sensors if there are any that will malfunction in the near future?

Since the temperatur sending unit is in a "funny" place, should i take out the hole engine and clean it and replace all gaskets on it? I dont need to use the car this summer so it can stand still for 3-4 months.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:21 AM

Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

with 2-3k miles a year and it just sitting around most of the time, i'd say start it up and run it once a week or once every two weeks. just idle it, drive it around the driveway for a minute or two. and don't let all the fluids go bad from sitting. check them frequently
Old 04-30-2011, 09:39 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: V8

Too add what pWJ said, ideally it should be brought to operating temperature a few times per month. Basically drive the thing at least 5 miles, about every 2 weeks. Sunday Drive twice a month?
Anyway the issue you will be having is condensation with the oils. They will pick up moisture. Short of replacement, heat will burn or drive the water out.

Ron
Old 04-30-2011, 10:56 AM
pwb

I will drive it 3-4 times and 20-60 miles each week. I got this car 1,5 months ago and is thinking of using the summer to get it in good condition since it will be used to drive the kids to and from horse riding and ski jumping.
I have an 8 year old girl who jumped 25 meter (82 feet) when she was 7 years old and she jumps in K40 (131 feet) hills now, just had to mention it :-)
I order the parts from rockauto and Morris4x4center since its so much cheaper than in Norway, 1/4-1/2 the price.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2L V8

#7. - windshield wipers motor (front). I have the same problem as you, let me know if you get it fixed, I will do the same. I am searching for a fix.

And your daughter is quite the jumper. Perhaps we will all see her in the winter games one day! Happy and safe training!!
Old 04-30-2011, 01:32 PM
pwb

Originally Posted by stomper27
#7. - windshield wipers motor (front). I have the same problem as you, let me know if you get it fixed, I will do the same. I am searching for a fix.

And your daughter is quite the jumper. Perhaps we will all see her in the winter games one day! Happy and safe training!!
thanx, Winter games 2018

One said to me that if the wiper motor wasnt grounded 100% the result is exactly that the autostop and interval didnt work, i will have a look at it tomorrow and let you know the result.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:08 AM
pwb

Default Result of my wiper motor check

I measured the connector and found something that must be the problem, i used this page http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl669e.htm?p=1 and when i mesasured the pin 1 to ground i got 0V, but that should have been 12V when engine is on. The pin-5 and pin-6 read 12V when high or low speed. The resistance from pin 4 and ground was 40ohm and thats a litle big high since it should have been 0ohm. Since the pin 1 dont have any voltage the motor dont park. Where is the best place to begin looking to fix this? Is there different fuses for pin 1 and the rest?

I have taken some picture of how to remove wiper arms and the other things i did to remove the wiper motor if someone is interested, but i dont know how to place the pictures i upload in a given order, but i can send them in a mail or something.
Attached Images  

Last edited by pwb; 05-01-2011 at 08:26 AM.