Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

U0103 and U0101

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default U0103 and U0101

I have a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee and 2 weeks ago the a/c went out. My husband went under the glove box and replaced some melted wires and the a/c came back on. BUT the PRND lights all lit up and I can't got over 35-40 mph because it won't shift. We replaced the ESM since that was the 1st code but it didn't work and we're still getting the 0103 code and now the 0101 code. Right now the jeep is at the dealership for the ignition switch recall and I am dreading their phone call wanting to charge us an arm and a leg to fix this problem if it is something we can do ourselves. We have been trying to troubleshoot the issue and all we can think to do now is replace the TCM. Any other ideas before we make this purchase would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!
Old 05-30-2017, 02:05 PM

The dealership just called and they want to charge us $800 to replace the TCM and they haven't even replaced the ignition switch yet.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:38 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

stop them, they need to find the broken or shorted wires to the BCM and TCM first.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:06 PM

Thanks for the tip! I told them not to do anything but replace the ignition switch and to call me when it's done. They also told me that I can't buy a TCM online because I need to pay them to program it. Is this true? Because I found one on eBay from the same vehicle as mine for $95. That sounds a lot better than $800 if it will work.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:03 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

there have been many changes in the automotive world, one of which is the ability to have shops other than the dealer to program a vehicle computer, however you should not be buying a TCM until it has been confirmed that it is needed...codes are merely a road the follow to find the fault/cause of the problem, codes are not for the reason to purchase parts without testing.

Shop around for a shop that can help you with this.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:34 AM

I just spoke to the dealership again because for some reason it has taken 4 days to change the ignition switch. They told me they checked everything and all of the wires and everything were good. It's definitely the computer. I plan to take it for a second opinion when I go pick it up but I did find that TCM on eBay. The VIN numbers have to match or be close to matching? I definitely don't plan on buying anything until I get someone else to look at it. Thanks for all of your help!