Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

tvss killed my 96 zj!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default tvss killed my 96 zj!

I tripped the alarm and it will only start and die. this started with me trying to fix my wipers. when i shut them off, they just stop pointing at the sky. I changed the wiper switch. had no effect. I changed the body control module, had no effect. i was leaving the parts store and fumbling with the keys, a key on the chain hit the panic button. At least that's how i remember it. Then the alarm goes postal. I tried to reset it with the remote but it's been acting up. i didn't know how to stop it with the key. It took 18 minutes for it to time out. I try to start it and it just dies. I spent hours looking for ways to fix the issue. i pulled the glove box out looking for relays that aren't there. i bared an inch of the purple/yellow wire and momentarily grounded it, no effect. haven't tried the hatch wire jumper trick yet or cutting the p/y wire and permanently grounding it. volt meter showed voltage. if i permanently ground it, won't it continually drain the battery???

I re-installed the original bcm, no effect.
a mechanic will meet me in two hours with the necessary scantool to flash the pcm and bcm to make sure the vin numbers match and try to erase the vtss code. I pray this will fix the issue.

Did i cause this by changing the bcm. is any of the tvss in the overhead console? is there a pulse module for the darn wiper???
Old 03-27-2013, 12:23 PM

Default VTSS death mode

fyi, here's what happened:

my jeep has no vtss, the bcm came out of a jeep that did. the bcm triggered death mode. the pcm can be,and was, (partially) erased and flashed to restore the programming. cost me $100.00, garage wanted $200.00 plus up to $140.00 for diagnostics.

beware all ye who dare to swap a bcm! for all who have asked how to reset the alarm to get out of death mode...you may be able reset and/or disable the alarm but you will most likely have to have the pcm flashed to clear the shutdown code.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:56 PM

Default sold my 4x4

FYI: on a 96, if the wipers won't park, the motor has an internal park circuit. change the motor but first inspect the slotted hole the drive pin goes through. they can become rounded and the wiper assembly can slip out of proper position. to the best of my knowledge, the overhead consoles contain the receiver for the keyless entry which can be reprogrammed by following the instructions in the owners manual. The receiver should set the remote to work at the receivers' frequency. please feel free to correct me if i am wrong.

I liked my Jeep. I loved my Jeep. I sold my Jeep. I miss my Jeep.