Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Transfer Case Leaks..Used "Seal-All' worked great

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 02:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims
Default Transfer Case Leaks..Used "Seal-All' worked great

Hey all, this might not be the best place to post this, but I thought it was such a good suggestion I wanted to get it out there. So my transfer case was leaking at the case seal, the one that goes all the way around. Not much, just a drip or two every few minutes, but enough to be downright annoying when I look at the driveway (now ruined.) When I was at a customers house last week my employee mentioned that my truck seemed to be leaking, so I started taking another look.
Sure enough it seemed to be the seal around where the case splits. I picked up some Seal-All at Advanced for about $5. Cleaned it with brake cleaner and paper towel,..sure enough there was a divit right on the bottom where the halves meet, about the size of a match head. This stuff looks and smells like airplane glue. The label says gas and oil resistant. So I put a small dab on. It dries within a minute and dries clear. Not rock hard, but kind of pliable. A drip of tranny fluid came through it, but did not mix with it.
That was about 4 days ago and have been bone dry since. Anything leaking, no promises it will last, but I would give this stuff a shot; of of course you could rip the transfer case out and rebuild it.

Last edited by 97grand4.0; 06-17-2017 at 02:50 PM.