Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Tired of gettin fukd

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Tired of gettin fukd

Here are my problem folks, and I do hope someone can help me. My Son has a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee, (picture herein I hope) that we have been reconditioning little by little for 6 years. The engine has 275000 miles on it and still running well even though the mpg has dropped but that is expected to do so. We just put a new computer in it because of many problems it had connected with the computer. So, I took it to a dealer after trying three different after-market computer systems that failed miserably. At the dealer, it was $800 for the board and installing it.
1) ABS Light will not go out, and the ABS is in fact working.
2) Coolant sensor light is coming on which makes the “check engine” light come on as well. Sometimes it clears after several starts, sometimes it does not. Note: The coolant sensor has been replaced with a new one.
3) Parking lights do not flash when locking/unlocking.
Note: Numbers 1 and 2 were doing this before the computer replacement. It was supposed to clear up after the new board was installed.
I have spent a great deal of time and money on this vehicle because my Son really loves this vehicle. I remember the feeling and I remember watching it go to the junk yard because I could not afford to repair it. I will not let that happen to him. Any help on any or all of the above problems would be greatly appreciated I assure you. I thank you for reading this.
Regards,
R E Spangenberg
USMC (ret)
rspangenberg@ec.rr.com
Old 01-13-2015, 06:41 PM

I would start by cleaning every ground you can find be it under the hood and in the interior.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: v8

does it run?

Eta:

It's a jeep with over a quarter million miles on it. You are...ahem... *****ing griping about warning lights and cost to make them stop?

Here is the deal... if you want to restore it like new, then empty the pockets. If you want to make it your kid's "first car", then it is good enough right now.

My son's ABS light stayed on... mostly because the pump is broken... I offered to fix it for him by yanking the bulb. Sure, I can replace everything from bumper to bumper, but why? It's his first car, and it's his job to figure these things out and what is important to him..

I bought him a car. It hauls him around from place to place, stop to stop, and girl to girl . If he wants to do it more economically, I fear he might be gay or a pimp with poor managerial skills.

Last edited by rangermonroe; 01-13-2015 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:04 AM

Sounds like decent advice ranger. But, I know how old ghost feels, I like all me stuff working too.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:19 AM

Default 1997 Jeep ABS funkied out

Thank you Ranger went through it all regarding the grounds. Well after the “New” (refabricated from Chrysler) computer system was in all seemed well except on the information center in the middle of the dash the clock keeps resetting to zero after about 12 hours. I can set the calendar and clock, drive it throughout the day and it’s works fine, but let it sit for 10 hours or more and it goes back to default. That is the small problem I think. The big problem is the ABS module is in fact bad, mechanic said it was good 2 weeks ago, but now it is indeed bad. So we got one from a junk yard, and no deal, it was bad. Trying not to spend another thousand dollars for a new one from the dealer. Does anyone out there have one that does in fact work that I could beg, borrow, and buy, from you.

~Ghost~
USMC (ret)