Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

think I trashed my transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default think I trashed my transmission

I have a 98 grand cherokee all time 4x4 i6 65,000 miles. I sunk it and got the transmission full of water. I pulled the pan drained the water and new filter. It ran and shifted fine. still showed a little water in the pan so I repeated the process but pulled one of the cooler lines and tried to pump more of the fluid out first before pulling the pan. Did OK for about two days then coming home it quit pulling would engage after a minute or two of sitting. Checked the fluid and it was full. Now it won't shift out of first. Pull it out of park to reverse goes in like it should go to drive goes like it should. Take off it in first and won't shift. get the rpms up and let off the gas rpms fall of like it shifted but won't do anything like in neutral until speed drops enough to shift back into first. Can stop and it starts off in first. I replaced the fluid with atf+4 like the owners manual said but have read since on some posts that that is the wrong fluid? Also saw some one say that flushing the fluid was bad. Did I tear up the transmission taking the line loose? Any suggestions on something else to try or do I need a rebuild? I forgot to mention there is no check engine light so I would think it's not something electrical like a sensor or a solinoid?
Old 03-05-2015, 09:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

I just fixed a Dodge that had the same problem. It was the governor pressure sensor that caused the problem, it was also throwing a code for the governor pressure sensor. I replaced the sensor and governor shift solenoid and it shifted beautifully after that. I used MOPAR parts, they were not cheap, even with a discount. You can get them from O'reilly's. It's an easy repair, but you have to drop the pan again. I also recommend getting the reusable pan gasket from the dealer. Worth every penny.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:32 PM

I am going to try replacing the gover solinoid tomorrow or Monday. Hopping that will fix it.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Good luck, let us know what happens. There is a video on YouTube that shows you how to do it.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:01 PM

I changed the governor sensor and solinoid in my wife's 2003 but doesn't look like I have a sensor in my 1998. The solinoid is the only thing listed. I will get back to you When I get it done.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:41 PM

I changed the governor solinoid could not find a sensor close so I didn't change it Figured I would order one online. It shifted better not great but better. Till this morning drove it about 20 or thirty miles and it just quit pulling. It'll go to first and run for about 100 yards and just quit pulling like you are in nuteral. Give it a few minutes and it do it all over again. Can't manually shift it ether. I got home this evening and tried it again and is the same cold as when running warm. Any ideas or do I need a rebuild.