Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Which of these dealer recommended PM's are REALLY necessary?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Which of these dealer recommended PM's are REALLY necessary?????

I compared a sheet my dealer gave me on my 2012 GC Overland 5.7L Hemi, in which the dealer says I am overdue (at 32,000) and found a big difference between them, and the manual for the following services:

3-Stage Fuel System Service ($270)
Replace Spark Plugs ($330)
Transfer Case Service ($100)

So that's $700 of PM that they say I should be doing, YET! when I read the manual - NONE OF THESE SHOW UP AS NECESSARY except for the Spark Plugs.

We got 140,000 on the original spark plugs on my wife's '05 Pacifica, but I know this Hemi is a different animal. So how much of this is really suggested vs. how much is dealer hype to make $$? I already did the Rear Differential service as I had towed a Travel Trailer over the mountains for several thousand miles. And I plan to keep this vehicle for a long time so I do want to take care of it.

But what of these $700 in services are really necessary and which are "wait-and-see-what-happens" kind of items?
Old 04-17-2014, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Straight 6

Did you buy the jeep new? or from a dealership? I would think you would still have alot of miles left on the original factory warrenty if something happens. IMO I wouldnt worry about those services unless you have a problem, and especially not if your still under warrenty.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L

Originally Posted by gowestwardho
I compared a sheet my dealer gave me on my 2012 GC Overland 5.7L Hemi, in which the dealer says I am overdue (at 32,000) and found a big difference between them, and the manual for the following services:

3-Stage Fuel System Service ($270)
Replace Spark Plugs ($330)
Transfer Case Service ($100)

So that's $700 of PM that they say I should be doing, YET! when I read the manual - NONE OF THESE SHOW UP AS NECESSARY except for the Spark Plugs.

We got 140,000 on the original spark plugs on my wife's '05 Pacifica, but I know this Hemi is a different animal. So how much of this is really suggested vs. how much is dealer hype to make $$? I already did the Rear Differential service as I had towed a Travel Trailer over the mountains for several thousand miles. And I plan to keep this vehicle for a long time so I do want to take care of it.

But what of these $700 in services are really necessary and which are "wait-and-see-what-happens" kind of items?
Fuel Service: - If you run cheap, off-brand gas it might be worth it, otherwise probably entirely unnecessary. A lot of gas stations like Chevron run detergents in their fuel so I'm not really sure why this service is entirely necessary especially on something with low miles.

-Clean the gas pump, fuel lines and injectors by adding cleaner to the gas and running the engine.

-Add a second cleaner directly to the warm engine to remove gunk and carbon deposits from the combustion chambers.

-Finally, hand-clean the air intake using a third cleaner and bottle brushes to remove rough deposits that disturb air flow and cut efficiency.

Spark Plugs - probably unnecessary - how does it run?

Transfer Case Service

The following website mentioned the 30k mile service: http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_maintenance.htm#TCASE

Also, how long has it been since you replaced your coolant? That's supposed to be changed every 2 years or so, but most people don't bother.