Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Suspension wearing out?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Suspension wearing out?

I have a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK Laredo...When I make a turn or even when I'm driving, the Jeep does not feel like a new car should, that heavy on the floor confident feeling you get when driving a new car...

I feel like I'm holding a toothpick that's ready to crack, when I make a turn I feel like it's going to bend/crack, does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I feel like my steering wheel has gotten thinner too, is it my steering wheel, some suspension part that I should update/upgrade or is it just my head?

I just feel like when I'm turning or even when I'm going straight on a highway, like my suspension is held by a small screw, feels fragile, when I'm driving in the snow/rain all the cars are driving by me because I don't get that confident feeling to go faster like when driving a new vehicle. What could it be?

I bought this 2006 Jeep grand Cherokee Laredo in 2010 with 165,000 km on it, now it has 202,000 km (125,000 miles).

I started getting this feeling 1.5 years ago I would say. Definitely not the tires, feels the same no matter which tires I put. Also changed the shocks 3 months ago. The only other suspension upgrades I've done are rear stabilizer links and right upper control arm w/ball joint.

If I had to guess I would say it's a worn out part that is in the front center of the suspension which moves when the steering wheel turns.

Maybe it's just normal wear and tear? I just feel like I'm steering a very fragile steering wheel/suspension...
Old 02-24-2013, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

I wrote my original post too quickly and very sloppy..after looking around this is what I meant..The steering is excessively loose..

I feel like my suspension will crack if I do a crazy turn... The steering wheel feels excessively...but does not vibrate.

I have a few questions:

1). I would also like to add some SRT suspension parts if they do not worsen the ride quality, please tell me If they do/don't?

2). Please give me a list of what you parts you think I should change?

3). Last year I added a Moog front right upper control ATM and ball joint and Moog rear stabilizer links. Is it too late to add SRT parts?

4). I also added Monroe reflex shocks and struts with that other Monroe part in the front shocks.

5). What does lowering do for a jeep, honestly I don't know if I'd want to do this, I already feel the differential is close enough to the ground, but if you want tell me the pros and cons to it.

6). After reading certain issues others had (see below) I believe these are my problems.. I could be wrong though...

1. Need to flush/or change power steering fluid, as well as to check power steering pump, belts, pressure valve, hoses.
2. Need to have someone inspect my steering column, gears and bolts, as well as u-joint coupling in the steering column?
3. Need to check the entire steering rack (rack and pinion assembly).
4. Need to inspect all tie rods and tie rod bushings.
5. Do we have wheel bearings, if yes, check those too.
6. Worn idler arm?
7). Chance that one of the bolts on the steering column came out, It could also be a loose steering shaft.
8). Check sway/stabiizing bar and from sway bar links and all bushings
9). Inspect Steering damper

I found this answer somewhere...

What could apply to the WK jeep?

The most common causes of steering looseness include worn tie rod ends, a worn idler arm or center link (on vehicles without rack and pinion steering), a worn steering gear or a worn steering rack.

Normally, your steering wheel should have no more than about a quarter inch of play. Any more means something is worn or loose and needs to be fixed.

WARNING: Don't put off having your steering looked at because a failure of a critical component could cause loss of steering control!

The inner and outer tie rod ends should have no perceptible looseness. Worn or loose tie rod ends are especially dangerous because if one pulls apart you'll lose steering control. Worn tie rod ends can also cause rapid tire wear.

If you have a rear-wheel drive vehicle with conventional steering (not rack and pinion steering), the idler arm should have no more than the specified amount of maximum play. Refer to a manual for the specs and recommended procedure for checking it. Checking idler arm play usually involves pulling on the arm with a specified force and measuring how much the arm deflects.

If your vehicle has a lot of miles on it, the steering gear or rack itself may be worn. On conventional steering boxes, there's usually an adjustment screw that can be used to take some of the slack out of the system. With rack and pinion steering, though, adjustment is usually little help because the rack develops center wear. If the pinion is adjusted to compensate, the rack may bind when turned to either side. The only cure for a center wear condition is to replace the rack with a new one (an entire new rack assembly).

Other Causes
Sometimes the steering will feel loose because of a worn U-joint coupling in the steering column. Loose or worn wheel bearings can also make the steering wander and feel loose.

Hmmm which to start with?

These are the availble steering parts on rock auto..which would you look at?

Steering

King Pin Bearing
Power Steering Cooler Line
Power Steering Filter
Power Steering Pressure Hose
Power Steering Pump
Power Steering Pump Seal Kit
Rack and Pinion Complete Unit
Rack and Pinion Seal Kit
Steering Damper
Tie Rod Assembly (inner & outer)
Tie Rod End