Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

STILL can't get her going!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 liter 6 cylinder
Default STILL can't get her going!

Hi everyone! I have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0l 6cyl. Over the past month i have have had NOTHING but trouble! I went to the store with no noticeable problems, shut my engine off and when i tried to crank it again....nada.

I have:

Replaced battery ends then tested and replaced battery.

I changed the spark plugs (with proper gapping) and wires in March. (It IS firing)

I finally got it to crank and took it to AutoZone to have them test whatever it is under the hood they hook up to and the only code it showed was for a crank position sensor. I put the jeep into a local mechanic shop familiar with jeep that replaced the crank position sensor.

I once again went to the grocery store....yup, it's a pattern....would not crank.

It was turning over but would not crank. So i checked for fuel pressure at the Schrader valve and it was flooding out before i could get the cap off. There was ALOT of pressure. The jeep finally cranked after sitting two hours.

My dad fixed my Schrader valve.
He is stumped too.....

My dad and i replaced:

1. Ignition coil
2. Pickup coil
3. Distributor Cap
4. Rotor button

After replacing all that is listed above...
She finally cranked!
For two days she ran like a top, could turn her off and crank her right back up.

And as i said earlier, again with the pattern...
I went to the store came home and didn't turn her off until i got home. Next morning when i tried to crank her i heard the fuel pump NOT whirring...

I replaced the fuel pump.....
Which was NOT FUN AT ALL....
Then after purchasing a defective pump from Oreillys....
Had to drop that tank yet again and replaced the whole fuel assembly. The gas gauge isn't reading any gas and pump still not whirring.
My dad wired the battery to the pump and still not getting power....

We need help guys. If there is anyone please respond.