Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Start but won’t crank

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Post Start but won’t crank

i have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7l v8 and i was headed home one evening and my Jeep started spurting and then shut off wouldn’t crank over got it back home and couldn’t figure out what was going on I checked to see if fuel was going to the motor and it is so I replaced the camshaft and crankshaft positioning sensor and still have nothing also the relay for the fuel pump is working i have charged the battery and it starts but won’t crank up I don’t know what to do now lost at the moment if any advice or knowledge please help I’m really needing it
Old 12-25-2017, 07:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Pj Howard
i have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7l v8 and i was headed home one evening and my Jeep started spurting and then shut off wouldn’t crank over got it back home and couldn’t figure out what was going on I checked to see if fuel was going to the motor and it is so I replaced the camshaft and crankshaft positioning sensor and still have nothing also the relay for the fuel pump is working i have charged the battery and it starts but won’t crank up I don’t know what to do now lost at the moment if any advice or knowledge please help I’m really needing it
You need to have the codes read and see what you got there. What you meant was the starter turns over (cranks) but the engine won't start and run? Or is the starter not even turning the engine over? This difference is important.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:34 PM

It won’t crank and run i don’t have fire to the spark plug and I’m not sure why
Old 12-25-2017, 07:38 PM
CF Veteran

It won’t crank and run i don’t have fire to the spark plug and I’m not sure why
OK so it's turning over but not starting. Did you check to see if you have juice to the coil at all? Do you have an electrical tester? You need one to figure this out.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:41 PM

I don’t have a tester but I took one of the coil packs or ignition coil off and put a flat head in there and close to something metal and I got no spark out of it
Old 12-25-2017, 08:13 PM
CF Veteran

I don’t have a tester but I took one of the coil packs or ignition coil off and put a flat head in there and close to something metal and I got no spark out of it
What we have to find out is if there is even any juice coming to the coil to make it work like it should. It's not going to spark if there is no electricity getting to it in the first place.

If you are going to be working on it you need one of these testers. Trust me you will need it again many times over. lol