Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Stalling problem!! HELP !!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Stalling problem!! HELP !!

okay so i bought a 1998 jeep grand cherokee about 2 weekis ago and ever since i got the thing it keeps randomly shuting off as im driving it and when i go to start it back up sometimes it works and sometimes i have to wait about 10 min. my first thought was the fuel pump so i changed it and still nothing then i figured maybe a relay still nothing and now i read up on it and cant find anything that really helps fix this problem and i took the jeep into my mechanic and he said he cant do anything because the computer is throwing no codes there is no lights and it wouldnt die when he drove it of course.

so if any one has a clue on how to fix this or maybe some cheap fixes for it let me know because i have put over $400 into it already.

thank you
Old 08-12-2012, 07:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

Before you put money into it, a proper Diagnosis should of been in order. I hear to many times that people put so much money into their jeep and its still broken.... Thats their fault....

When it dies does it have spark??? Fuel??? Dies at idle or while driving? Check engine light or not?

Theres alot of good info on here if we get good info to begin with.

If you just want to keep guessing, replace cam sensor, crank sensor, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and pcm. Also clean the IAC. That should fix it.

Now to inform you of my rude post. A lady came into work today, Advance scanned her car, said it had a MAF code. Told her she needed to buy a 300 MAF to fix the problem. She comes to us, a actual shop to have it installed, no diag. Guess what!! It didnt fix it, we are the jerks. Ok, thats my rant.LOL
Old 08-13-2012, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

Originally Posted by bblind59
okay so i bought a 1998 jeep grand cherokee about 2 weekis ago and ever since i got the thing it keeps randomly shuting off as im driving it and when i go to start it back up sometimes it works and sometimes i have to wait about 10 min. my first thought was the fuel pump so i changed it and still nothing then i figured maybe a relay still nothing and now i read up on it and cant find anything that really helps fix this problem and i took the jeep into my mechanic and he said he cant do anything because the computer is throwing no codes there is no lights and it wouldnt die when he drove it of course.

so if any one has a clue on how to fix this or maybe some cheap fixes for it let me know because i have put over $400 into it already.

thank you
Please see this thread:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/sud...-50161/index2/

Specially posts 16-18, and 21. While it's for a 1999 it may be applicable.