Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Spacer under the coil spring?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 07:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Spacer under the coil spring?

Recently installed some homemade spacers that go on the spring perch under the coil. They seated very well and seem ok. Just seeing if there is any danger in this I can't think of or see. Thanks for any input.

I will post pics soon

Also this is on my 96 zj not the xj in my pic

Last edited by 1990 cherokee; 11-06-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Top or bottom, the spacer will have the same effect. Make sure the spring is secured in some fashion to the bottom so it does not go shooting out when the axle is at full droop.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:20 AM

Ok. It seemed like it would work fine to me. I just couldn't find anything where someone has done this on a zj. Just rangers and bronco II.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:55 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997

curious to see the pics on what you have designed.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:01 AM

I will also have a buddy of mine put a couple welds at the bottom of the spacer on the spring perch.
Attached Thumbnails Spacer under the coil spring?-image-844011451.jpg   Spacer under the coil spring?-image-2820869678.jpg  
Old 11-06-2012, 11:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

I would never run that... with how cheap spacers are your risking a lot with failure. I would buy the 20$ 2" coil spacers off ebay, quiet, safe, simple and a lot better. those don't look like they fasten to anything, just sit on top of the tube... the ones on the tops of the spring center on the bump stop tube and wont fall off due to the spring not coming off the tube. when the spring lifts it looks like the spacer will come off and the spring too... (unless there is something I can't see)

Ford has bolt on lower coil buckets, so you can place a spacer between the bucket and the axle with a longer bolt and it is still secured in a factory fashion. this just looks scary, is it aluminum? going to weld that to the steel tube?
Old 11-06-2012, 12:02 PM

I am going to install the factory clips that were on the spring. Ran out of time. But yeah I had planed on putting a couple small welds between it and the seat.

I live in GA number one. There are not a lot of extreme rock crawling areas here, so I will not be doing anything crazy where things are falling apart. And 2'' rubber spacers are garbage and only 2''. This is 4''. It rides nice too.

So that being said, the springs and spacers would not be loose flopping around to cause a problem it seems safe to me. I will test it out on some trails next week and we will see

Thanks for all the comments and keep them coming maybe someone has an idea I didn't think of.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

After seeing the pictures, I think I would rather run the ebay spacers.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:31 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Year: 99
Engine: 4ho

holy **** i would not use those.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by Gorillaxj
I would never run that... with how cheap spacers are your risking a lot with failure. I would buy the 20$ 2" coil spacers off ebay, quiet, safe, simple and a lot better. those don't look like they fasten to anything, just sit on top of the tube... the ones on the tops of the spring center on the bump stop tube and wont fall off due to the spring not coming off the tube. when the spring lifts it looks like the spacer will come off and the spring too... (unless there is something I can't see)

Ford has bolt on lower coil buckets, so you can place a spacer between the bucket and the axle with a longer bolt and it is still secured in a factory fashion. this just looks scary, is it aluminum? going to weld that to the steel tube?
X2. Thats sketchy as hell. Especially if its not attached well
Old 11-06-2012, 09:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4 inch spacer lift is straight up unsafe. plus your stock shocks are going to hate you. i can just see that thing flexing out and one of those ghetto spacers slips and becomes a projectile.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:29 AM

How is 4 inch spacer unsafe?

And I already said I am putting the same clips that held the springs in place for years. As well as welding the spacer in. So how is it any different than stock other than being taller?

Now I was asking for advice not asking if its the best or if u would run it or if my s*** is ghetto or not.

When I can afford it I will buy a nice long arm kit. But it's going to be awhile before that happens.

So like said it will be attached both spacer and spring. And I'm not doing anything crazy or hardcore. So what is so unsafe with it nothing is going to fly out or come loose. I was more worried about it maybe damaging other parts I had not thought of or something along those lines if not I appreciate your opinions but I did feel like my question was not being understood correctly.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:31 AM

And I already said I am putting the same clips that held the springs in place for years. As well as welding the spacer in. So how is it any different than stock other than being taller?

Now I was asking for advice not asking if its the best or if u would run it or if my s*** is ghetto or not.

When I can afford it I will buy a nice long arm kit. But it's going to be awhile before that happens.

So like said it will be attached both spacer and spring. And I'm not doing anything crazy or hardcore. So wh
Old 11-07-2012, 08:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 HO

EBay also has cheap 3" spacers. Hell I would rather stack a couple 2" spacers on the top then that.. I'm all for saving some money but c'mon man
Old 11-07-2012, 08:38 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by 1990 cherokee

So like said it will be attached both spacer and spring. And I'm not doing anything crazy or hardcore. So what is so unsafe with it nothing is going to fly out or come loose. I was more worried about it maybe damaging other parts I had not thought of or something along those lines if not I appreciate your opinions but I did feel like my question was not being understood correctly.
its not the amount of lift, its the way its mounted/designed...

YES it can damage other things.. rollover, loss of control, cause an accident, kill you/somone else. Suspension parts are not a good area for gehto fab... Trying to help YOU and the people around YOU. sorry for giving the advise you asked for...

Quick Reply: Spacer under the coil spring?