Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Some Strange Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Some Strange Electrical Problems

Hi, I am new here and from the UK. Given that I have just bought a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.1 TD LTD I thought I would have a go joing this forum to see what help I could find.

I have had a couple of problems since owning the jeep (1 month) and they are as follows:

When I start the car I get the usual chimes reminding me to put my seat belt on, once I have done this and I start driving I get a single chime about 30 seconds later (no warnings on the overhead display or dash) so I have no idea what its for...

I realised the other day when I was reversing and could see the reflection of the rear of the car that one of my brake lights wasn't working however this is very strange. The bulb (Left hand side) works with the head lights on and goes out completely when I put my foot on the brake (the other side gets brighter as it should do). however with the headlights off all brake lights work perfectly?????

The autodoor lock feature only decides to work 50% of the time (the feature that automatically locks all the dos when you go faster than say 10mph....

My battery went completely dead overnight last night, it seemed as though it was cranking fine before hand and have never had this issue before. I have replaced the battery today and will see how that goes...

The light does not come on the dash when I apply the hand brake (car is an auto) however does come on when the dashboard performs all its checks when you first switch the ACC on...

Does anyone have any insight into any of these issues or ideas as to what I can try to resolve them, the single chime one is really strange. I understand that there are model variances between the US and UK (engine wise for example) however I am hoping that the electrics are relatively similar.

Thanks in advance for any help provided...
Old 10-09-2009, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Hiya, and welcome from another UK Jeeper.

The brake lamp think sounds like an earth fault.

Check out rockznrutz.com (UK Jeep Forum) the ex cheif mechanic from Daimler Chrysler UK drops in there regulaly, and should be able to help.