Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

So what causes the steering on a car to go POP POP when you turn ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default So what causes the steering on a car to go POP POP when you turn ?

I was just checking out some V8 Grand cherokee's at those little crappy trailer dealerships since the fancy used dealerships dont sell older cars like that.

I looked at this 97 V8 Grand cherokee had 172k miles, however i noticed the bottom had tons of rust on it on the metal frame and the drive shafts looked pretty rusted out too. I noticed the rear suspention of the Jeep was sorta bent too. You know those long bars that go down and connect to a bracket which connects to the suspention ? I dunno what its called but the bracket was bent to the left a little bit..

Another problem was the steering lol, when you turn left or right even a little bit the car would pop, pop, pop, and make a eerg noise. When parked if you turned the wheel it sounded like the power steering pump was making whiny noises..

The brake pedal was floppy, like i had to push the brake down all the way until it grabbed and slowed down...

The engine backfired when it was turned on, however after that it sounded very good, and it had almost no Vibration to it.. Actually less virbration then my moms I6..

I was wondering are these problems major on this Jeep obviously i wouldnt buy it like that but if it can be fixed for cheap...
Old 08-21-2010, 01:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

That's a lot of problems. Sounds like a money pit. I'd stay away from that.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:53 PM

Yea im not gonna buy it lol, was just wondering what it was.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:10 PM

Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

That was the CV joints they were most likely shot.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:35 PM

MM yea, My mom replaced hers a few years ago, aparently someone cut them.. liek an ex boyfriend someone lol.. Was $700 to fix.

What about the brake pedal ? Basicly it was floppy and really loose fealing.. My moms car when you barely push on the brake it has resistance which is normal. This car the pedal needed to be pushed pretty much all the way down and had no resistance or brake power until you pushed it down to the floor almost.

The noise when you turn the steering while parked.. Could that have been the power steering pump ? It was a whiny noise.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

Whiny noise while turning could be low power steering fluid or the pump is going bad, or both. The spongy brakes could be low brake fluid.

That thing doesn't sound road-worthy at all. I can't believe a dealer is trying to sell it in that condition. There are laws that require dealers to make sure a vehicle is safe to drive before they can sell it.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:41 PM

yea i didnt feal too safe in it,, felt like it was gonna fall apart or something, and the power of the v8 vs the inline 6 i drive was a huge jump, with those brakes i was a little scared lol..
Old 08-24-2010, 04:13 PM

spongy brakes indicate air in the brake line. Very easy to fix with a flush and brake bleed. ( i get my wife to push the pedal while I realease the bleed nipples)

But I have the same problem of the POP while turning tight turns. It's as if the ratios are wrong or the diffs are locked up.

Are there any solutions to this problem?
Old 08-24-2010, 07:07 PM

I found out the poping is due to broken CV boots in the front wheels. That or Bad bearings
Old 08-26-2010, 02:25 PM

i was going to ask if there was a lemon law in your area. that vehicle would never pass an inspection is sounds like and shame on the dealer for trying to sell it in that condition! what was the price on it?
Old 08-26-2010, 05:41 PM

I am in Australia and just bought a jeep off a dealer and it has problems... but I knew it when i bought ot and sold it to me as "wrecking or restoration" so we both knew (and signed legally so) that it was not a drive away vehicle or price.
Similar situations should exist elsewhere in the world.
Found a great part on ebay for the steering... it's an oversized damper with a return spring to create a "return to centre" for better control.

any thoughts? has anyone else seen or used this type of thing? seems like a good idea since jeep steering is rubbish!
Old 08-26-2010, 06:25 PM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

include a link to what your talking about? maybe we could help ya better... and maybe start your own thread... since your hijacking this other guys...
Old 08-26-2010, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by 1AAdam
i was going to ask if there was a lemon law in your area. that vehicle would never pass an inspection is sounds like and shame on the dealer for trying to sell it in that condition! what was the price on it?

$2500 lol, and he said he wouldnt budge on the price either.

Here is the craigslist ad for it

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...920372616.html
Old 08-27-2010, 03:15 AM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

pass on it... but the lemon law aint gonna help ya... lemon law is stupid actually... does no good...
Old 08-27-2010, 04:46 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/JEEP-TJ-WRANG...ts_Accessories

Point taken... I'll post this in a new thread for discussion... sorry.
Also Bought my jeep for $1800 and after one week is spruced up to look like a $6,000 one. what a gem!
Just have to fix the steering and noisy drive LOL.

Quick Reply: So what causes the steering on a car to go POP POP when you turn ?