Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Small gap at firewall where accumulator / dryer connects after replacing it need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 04:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Small gap at firewall where accumulator / dryer connects after replacing it need help

Hello,

I have a 99 WJ Jeep 4.0 Grand Cherokee.
I really wish I had look to see if the liquid line and dryer had small gaps where it connectors to the evaporator at the firewall.

Seems like an easy replacement eh? Well countless youtubes show people intalling the dryers but nothing on connecting them to the firewall connections.
Mine is not quick connects by the way its a 99-04 4.0 with stupid screw type.

While both went in with a bit of bending the tube which HAS TO BE DONE to get them off in the first place they will not sit flush period when I screw them back down to the evaporator connections under the hood at the firewall. I am surprisied not a single person who has replaced the liquid line or dryer on this car has come across this awkward connection. All I read is it's easy replace it.

I have not heard one person mention this at all ANYWHERE on this 4.0 and firewall connection issue of a small gap as oppsed to the other connections that sit entirely flush. But after careful instpection the metal lip at the end of those tubes cannot insert into the groove in the evaporator connection they are a bit longer. But the washer sits right inside that groove. This is just really weird! if it should have small gap or should it go back on flush or not. Not one word other than replacing the liquid line and dryer is snap. I find it hard to beleive that its just that simple and no one came across this issue at the firewall and screwing the tubes back down from the dryer and liquid line to the evaporator at that firewall connection under the hood Someone with this car please confirm my finding of this gap of the dryer and liquid line where it connects to the firewall.

The hose goes in it just leave a 16th of an inch gap where when the screw is flush where it sits. Both connections at the firewall look like this. And again the washer with rubber sits just in the groove it's almost impossible for this connection to go all the way in.
WIth a mirror I have I was able to see the metal on the end of the tube was pushing the washer flush into the groove though but any gap is disturbingh to me but that metal lip is just too long to go in there all the way it's not happening. I even compared this to the dryer that came out and the lips are the same. But both the liquid line (original one as I just replaced oring) and dryer are fitting exatcly the same way on that connection. Weird small gap.

I used a mirror to inspect it as well it looks like the washer is flush with the metal housing pusihng down on it.
In any case if anyone with a WJ Jeep 4.0 GC Laredo can check to see if those AC firewalls connections to the evaporator are like that (not entirely flush) I'd appreciate it. I don't want to charge my system unless this confirmed that there is in fact a 1/16" inch gap where it connects.

Geez, freaking jeeps.
Pain.
All I did was replace a dryer and liquid line it shouldn't be this hard.
Thanks for checking. All the rest of my AC connections sit nice , tight and flush. But htose firewall connection on this model jeep are AWKWARD. The metal ring does not go into that evaporator connection at the firewall all the way. its just not possiblw the metal lip is too long to instert all the way. SO I need a confirmation please. This is driving me nuts with this. IF I had thought to check this I'd not be so paranoid before I removed the liquid line and the dryer. And countless hours turned up nothing anywhere. Just people chanigng a dryer on youtube not mentioning this issue at all or even noticing it I guess.

Last edited by lakesideguy; 01-03-2017 at 04:33 AM.