Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Sluggish acceleration with new tranny

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Sluggish acceleration with new tranny

Just replaced the auto transmission in my WJ with a rebuilt Jasper unit. Once moving everything is fine, but off the line it now feels like the parking brake is on. I live on a steep hill, and everyday on my way home I stop to get the mail out of the mailbox. After getting the mail out of the box, I normally just put it in reverse and back up the hill the few feet to my driveway, but with the new tranny it won't budge. I now have to drive down the street, turnaround and come back up, since it's no problem once it's up to speed. The engine doesn't rev up high as it would if you had a slipping clutch. It feels more like it would if the parking brake were on (it isn't).

As soon as I picked it up from the shop I sensed it was a little sluggish off the line, but it wasn't until I got to my mailbox hill I realized that there was a real problem. It won't even brake the rear tires loose when I floor it on a dirt road!

I'm guessing either something in the transmission is not adjusted right or there is a torque converter/sensor problem. I'll be taking it back to the shop that did the repair (they're closed for summer vacation this week) but in the meantime just thought I'd ask if anyone might have a clue as to what's happening.

I use my Jeep off-road frequently as my job take me to mountaintop communication tower sites, so I need something that can climb a slope. I used to be able to go to the top of a 7,000 foot mountain in 2WD, but there's no way it would make it now.

Last edited by zippy7575; 08-18-2011 at 01:01 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:36 PM

Year: 88
Engine: 4.0

Everything Jasper I have touched was crap. BUT try adjusting the trans cable at the throttle body.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

Shift it manually, sounds like the TCU has it stuck in third gear. Make sure all electrical connectors are connected, if you know anyone with a nice scanner, have them scan it for tranny codes.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:45 PM

Thanks for the response, but it's definitely in first. Also, it does it in reverse too. I'll have it back to the shop on Monday.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Ive been in the transmission field for about 8 years now and I can tell you the jasper units are hit and miss sounds to me you got a bad one. The reverse problem is its either binding up or the low reverse band is adjusted too tight. If I were you I would see about getting your money back for the jasper unit and find a good shop to rebuild your original
Old 08-27-2011, 06:16 PM

The shop's diagnosis is the torque converter, and Jasper is replacing it for us.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:34 AM

Jasper replaced the tranny under warranty and all is good now. They paid the shop a fair rate for their labor too so everyone's happy.

I could have bought another ten-year-old GC for what I spent, but at least I know what I've got, and the straight six seems to be bullet proof. I assume the rear axle will give me problems at some point (I guess they all do eventually) but I could buy two or three dozen of them for what a new GC costs.