Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Shifter seems stiff?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Shifter seems stiff?

I just got my 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9/Auto..about three months ago. 187,000 Miles, but very well cared for!
The truck did sit a lot over the past year before I got it. Actually only 1000 miles put on it since last June according to the inspection sticker.

It was fine the past few months, and tonight I noticed putting it into park, seemed stiff, but went in. I mean its not like I have to force it. But is pretty firm to push it in. The other gear selections are fine.

Transmission shifts perfect. I have the receipt from last year, they changed the fluid and filter, solenoids, and added a cooler. Fluid is clean.

I did pop the gear selector cover off, and cleaned and greased those little teeth that the little pin and shifter slide on. It seemed to make it better. I just kept sliding the shifter back and forth. But to do it overnight was quite odd? If I do from Drive straight up to park, seems to go right in. But from reverse to Park, seems stiffer. I know that sounds strange. Greasing the guide or whatever thats called, did help!

Is there something going wrong. I mean greasing the little tracks or guides, I don't know what their called, did seem to help out like 80%. i am just paranoid now.
Should they be kind of slightly stiff going into park?
I didn't notice this when I bought it. And after two months, it just started doing it today.

Just some opinions. I am just probably being paranoid now. Since I am broke! And it is my only vehicle right now.

Last edited by TonyPa; 02-16-2017 at 11:21 PM.