Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Serious Rusting/ Corrosion on my new 2016 Grand Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Unhappy Serious Rusting/ Corrosion on my new 2016 Grand Cherokee

Hi Guys,
Need some advice, i have been given excuses by my dealership about the corrosion that has been happening to my new Car, as a perfectly normal thing to happen.
I know metals corrode but i don't like the feel of getting my brand new car getting corroded so early, given that in today's world with so much advancement, in workmanship and quality of plating and coating used on components.

A little back ground
I purchased my new Jeep GC, in December 2016 with 2112 miles till now, but i'm kind of disturbed and concerned with corrosion happening on the brake drum surface, the rear tie rod, muffler exhaust pipe, holding clamps and most of the nuts and bolts on the chassis underneath. I brought this to the attention of the dealer last month and the folks over there said its pretty normal for places with snow and salt on the road(salt lake city) and asked me to wash it pretty often. I am keeping my vehicle clean and wash it regularly including the undercarriage especially after snow but nothing seems to help it.
But then yesterday one of my friend who also owns a jeep and a FORD truck also pointed out that this is not normal, since the parts in undercarriage are ideally powder coated or plated to prevent corrosion so early. He has been driving car >20 K in Salt Lake city and has near to none corrosion on his vehicles.
I must say that it either represents poor quality of parts /materials or workmanship on the product.
Your opinion will be well received.
Some images here, i will post some more soon

Brake drums

the whole tie rod is rusted for the rear wheels

again rust on the axle

This tie rod looks like some centuries old.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

That is almost rust free,Bare metal can rust in only hours and living in the rust belt things are only gonna get worse with age.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Looks normal to me. The things that are rusting are not coated with anything which is why they are rusting. They are also parts that will likely be replaced well before rusting through becomes an issue.
They E-coat the frame which really isn't the best but that's the standard these days even on ford vehicles. Nuts and bolts and such wont have the coating. I have heard about some kind of underbody oil treatment that they spray to help in snow states that is supposed to work real good. Might want to look into that. Its almost impossible to keep it from rusting if they are using salt on the roads.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

is this post for real? thats surface rust on bare metal..
Old 03-14-2017, 09:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

Wish my XJ looked looked that good!

Like the others said, its normal for uncoated parts.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:15 AM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L

OP, do a search for floor pans and you will see what real rust looks like.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:13 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Meh..

Call us when it gets to this..

Old 03-14-2017, 10:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is the kind of rust you don't want to see. what you have is perfectly normal

Old 03-14-2017, 11:39 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Excellent!

Originally Posted by Cane
this is the kind of rust you don't want to see. what you have is perfectly normal

Old 03-14-2017, 07:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by jasmeet singh hundal
Hi Guys,
Need some advice, i have been given excuses by my dealership about the corrosion that has been happening to my new Car, as a perfectly normal thing to happen.
I know metals corrode but i don't like the feel of getting my brand new car getting corroded so early, given that in today's world with so much advancement, in workmanship and quality of plating and coating used on components.
Disappointing I know to spend that kind of coin and discover any type of issue. The items you mentioned do in fact start out as essentially bare metal and will corrode. It is "normal" and will cause no harm to your ride. Hopefully any serious rust problem will be many years away.
We have a "KL" section in this forum and I will ask that your post be moved there so other owners of like vehicles can add their 2¢.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

OP apparently lives in an area with snow which equals salt on the roads more than likely. Ya, that bare metal is going to show some surface rust after a few runs in the salt.

LOL @ this:

Originally Posted by diskman
Meh..

Call us when it gets to this..