Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Security problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Security problem

I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. All of a sudden the remote entry keys will not work-locks, alarm, nothing. Whenever I open any door, the alarm goes off for 3 long, painful minutes. When I try to start the vehicle, it runs for about 2 seconds then dies.

I am guessing this has something to do with the security system. Any ideas or is my only option to get it towed to a dealership and pay them to do the work?

Thanks!
Old 04-01-2009, 01:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

the security system is not recognizing your key,are you using the factroy key? there is a chip in the key,if you try and start the jeep with a key that is not programmed it will run for 2 seconds and shut off
Old 04-01-2009, 01:16 PM

quick question the last time you locked the jeep was it with the auto lock?...If so I sometimes have the same problem except for my remote not working and the alarm freaking out....if I lock my ZJ with the remote then it has to be unlocked with it as well if i use the key to unlock it it will run for a couple seconds then shut off, great security feature I think, try fixing the remote battery dead er something is the only thing, not totally sure hope that helps in some way
Old 04-01-2009, 01:23 PM

just dont go rushing to a dealer try to fix the remote, maybe you can reset everything by disconnecting the battery and just use the key to unlock and and try starting it after that, its a long shot
Old 12-07-2009, 03:23 AM

Hello: My name is Fraze and i am in Hamilton New Zealand. im looking for a 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport (Face Lift) Parts. im after the remote - lock/unlock black, The transciever for the remote that is in the roof console and the ECU (on the lf mudguard) As you know these 3 items must be out of the same vehicle in order for me to "plug and play" My jeeps remote is not commuinicating with the transciever to unlock the security. Truck wont start. Jeep dealer no help and say they can get a blank ecu from singapore and program with out the security and a huge $$$ cost, the only other way that i know of to get around this is to get all 3 compoinants out of another 1997 Jeep Cherokee (Face Lift model only) Can anyone help with these parts or an alternative please? Totally frustraited! Fraze