Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Running power to roof rack lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2
Default Running power to roof rack lights

I have a 98 Grand that has 3 Pro Comp 55w lights on top mounted to the roof rack. The previous owner had them wired with very thin wire like 18 gauge speaker wire Anyway they didn't work when I bought it and I was trying to get them working today and I ran the wire straight to the battery to see if they even worked at all and they do BUT the wire get VERY HOT! So I need to run much thicker wire to them. Any tips on running thick wire to the roof rack for the lights?
Old 08-16-2010, 10:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I have four Pilot 6" lights on my roof rail with upgraded 100watt bulbs. I have 2 circuits 2 lights on each.what I did was run 2 10ga wires through the dash and up the driverside "A" piller. the interior trim comes off pretty easy, you'll have to pull the visor and the door trim piece to drop the headliner enough to access the roof line. I pulled the front piece off the the factory roof rack rail and drilled a hole through the roof on the rail. before drilling go to a hardware store and get a rubber grommet big enough to fit the wire through but still tight enough to act as a seal. drill your hole run the wires and install the grommet. I grounded my lights to the torx head bolt that secures the end piece.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:34 PM

Year: 96

you need to just use a relay check this out should help you http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...ry/relays.html
Old 08-17-2010, 01:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sportrider
I have four Pilot 6" lights on my roof rail with upgraded 100watt bulbs. I have 2 circuits 2 lights on each.what I did was run 2 10ga wires through the dash and up the driverside "A" piller. the interior trim comes off pretty easy, you'll have to pull the visor and the door trim piece to drop the headliner enough to access the roof line. I pulled the front piece off the the factory roof rack rail and drilled a hole through the roof on the rail. before drilling go to a hardware store and get a rubber grommet big enough to fit the wire through but still tight enough to act as a seal. drill your hole run the wires and install the grommet. I grounded my lights to the torx head bolt that secures the end piece.
Excellent advise,I did the same thing but put a dab of silicone on the grommet so it won't leak.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:05 PM

Year: 1998

Thanks for the advice and the link!