Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Roof lining is leaking water when it rains.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Roof lining is leaking water when it rains.

Hello my 5.9 since i bought it a few months seems to leak water out of the top of the lining on the passenger side when i pull out and drive off after its been raining. The jeep is parked on a downward angle with the engine going and the rear up its not a big degree slop but its there.

When its raining i dont have any water leaking while parked or when im driving on the road or in the car wash. However it seems to collect when its sitting at this angle and when i back out and turn around and go up the hill the water pours out on the lining where it meets the passenger door. The lining tho isnt wet at all which is weird.

I pulled the lining down with my fingers just a tad and put a flashlight in there and looked around and i saw a screw hole thats right above where the roof rack is and i saw a water droplet on that. I think thats where its coming from as i couldnt see any water anywhere else.

Here are 2 pictures the first one is where the screw/bolt hole is where i saw the waterdroplet, and the 2nd is directly above where that hole is. However since the roofrack has that bulky thing on the end i dont know if thats a bolt hole for the rack cause i cant see it.

How do i remove the bulky part of this roof rack so i can take the bolt out and seal it up and put it back in and see if that fixes the water
Old 01-04-2011, 01:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2016
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 5.7l HEMI

Hope this helps

http://www.wjjeeps.com/crossrails.htm#DESCRIPTION

I also had this problem when i owned a 2000 Ford Expedition. It's legendary unreliability led me to buy my Jeep, but I digress. Instead of going through the hassel of removing the entire rail, i removed the end cap, covered the affected area with Bathroom Tile caulking from Lowes. Never dripped again.