Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Resetting The Comptuer

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L
Default Resetting The Comptuer

Hey guys, I've been having battery trouble lately. I figured out through my last thread that after the battery is disconnected, you can't give it gas at start up or it wont idle right.

Well I had the battery all charged and I started it the right way, it was running perfect, only I failed emissions.

"FAIL - Due to excessive number of readiness monitors 'Not Ready'."

It says this probably came up due to a bad battery and I need to reset my computer.

Does anyone know how to do that?
Old 04-06-2017, 08:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

I just went through this on my F150. You need to go through a complete "drive cycle" in order to get the readiness monitors to show ready. This kind of explains how it works. http://repairpal.com/drive-cycle-emi...iness-monitors

I bought an OBII scanner that can read the readiness monitors so I could check before taking through inspection. I got it for around $60 at Harbor Freight.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:31 PM

So, do I actually have to go out and do all that driving? Because the article says the vehicle replicates the conditions, but I don't know how to get it to do that.

My battery is officially toast. I just jumped it before I left to do emissions. It's about 10 miles to the place, in stop and go city traffic. But I'm thinking I'll just get a new battery tomorrow, cold start it, and go drive around the freeway and stuff. Should that do it?

Does anyone think an auto parts store would be able to tell me if my readiness monitors are working?

If anyone knows the full on process of how to get them to start working again, let me know. In the meantime, I'll try youtube.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by 99Justin4.0
So, do I actually have to go out and do all that driving? Because the article says the vehicle replicates the conditions, but I don't know how to get it to do that.

My battery is officially toast. I just jumped it before I left to do emissions. It's about 10 miles to the place, in stop and go city traffic. But I'm thinking I'll just get a new battery tomorrow, cold start it, and go drive around the freeway and stuff. Should that do it?

Does anyone think an auto parts store would be able to tell me if my readiness monitors are working?

If anyone knows the full on process of how to get them to start working again, let me know. In the meantime, I'll try youtube.
Replace the battery and go from there. Yes, you have to drive it. I'm not sure what the jeep drive cycle is but I'm sure you can find it online. But usually just normal driving for a few days mixing it up between highway and city type driving should be enough.

Auto parts store may be able to check but I've usually seen autozone and the like with basic OBDII scanners that just check and clear codes.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by 99Justin4.0

You will probably need a new battery but to check the readiness status of the monitors you don't need a scan tool. Turn the key to the ACC position. The check engine light will come on for a few seconds and then turn off. If it comes back on and blinks like 11 times or so it means there are monitors not ready. If it still blinks after a few days there is probably a problem. Have it checked. In most states a 2001 vehicle will still pass if no more than 2 monitors are not ready.

Last edited by EatonXJ; 04-06-2017 at 11:55 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by EatonXJ
You will probably need a new battery but to check the readiness status of the monitors you don't need a scan tool. Turn the key to the ACC position. The check engine light will come on for a few seconds and then turn off. If it comes back on and blinks like 11 times or so it means there are monitors not ready. If it still blinks after a few days there is probably a problem. Have it checked. In most states a 2001 vehicle will still pass if no more than 2 monitors are not ready.
Didn't know that you could check it that way, thanks!!
Old 04-08-2017, 12:31 AM

That's awesome to know I can check it that way. I got a new battery and drove around for a couple hours earlier. I got pulled over too... Luckily I had my failed emission papers on my seat and explained myself and got off with a verbal warning.

I found a whole list for Chrysler. Says there are 8 monitors total. You have to have at least a half tank of gas to ready a couple of them. Then you Cold Start, let warm up for 5 minutes. city drive, hold about 35 for 2 minutes and stop to idle for 30 seconds, repeat that a few times, then hit the freeway and hold 60 for 8 minutes or more. Then just drive around the city for a while. And finally to finish the process, shut off the Jeep and let it sit for a half hour or so.

Who woulda known that? I'm glad I do now, that's for sure.

My battery just had to die right before I get my new tabs... I've been to the DOL 6 freakin times since I bought this thing in September, and still have yet to get it transferred to my name. BS with the title then lack of funds. But after this test it's done and I'm finally finished!

Hopefully it works tomorrow..
Old 04-08-2017, 12:38 AM
Seasoned Member

You do have a 99 model right? Is the check engine light still flashing?
Old 04-08-2017, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by EatonXJ
You do have a 99 model right? Is the check engine light still flashing?
Yeah it's a 99. I just rebuilt the engine. It's got about 2k on it now.

Anyway, I just checked it, and the light didn't blink at all. So, I'm guessing I'm good to take the test tomorrow. I'm gonna put more gas in it in the morning and hit the freeway one more time before I go in. But I think I'm good.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:07 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I've never noticed or heard of that light trick.

Get yourself a basic code reader with monitor read out, its going to be very useful to you in the future if you are determined to diagnose and work on your own. shouldn't cost more than 30$.

In Illinois you can have up 2 monitors not ready before 2000 and only 1 after. However if you FAIL (not get rejected) with a catalyst fault, when you go in for the retest the cat monitor needs to be in the Ready State. check your states requirements.

1995 thru 2002 OBD II Monitor Enabling Criteria RWD/4WD JTEC PCM Equipped Vehicles

The following procedure has been established to assist technicians in the field with enabling and running OBD II Monitors. The order listed in the following procedure is intended to allow the technician to effectively complete each monitor and to set the CARB Readiness Status in the least time possible.

NOTE
Once the monitor run process has begun, do not turn off the ignition. By turning the ignition key off the monitor enabling conditions will be lost. Only the O2S Heater Monitor runs after key off.
By performing a battery disconnect, or erasing diagnostic trouble codes, the CARB Readiness and all additional OBD information will be cleared.
Monitor Run Process Tip
The following is an outline of the Monitoring Run Process, including suggestions and tips in order to aid in the process of meeting the enabling criteria for these monitors. The most efficient order has been outlined below. For example, the first two monitors have very similar enable criteria; it is possible that the Evaporative Leak Detection Monitor will run during the O2 Sensor Heater Monitor.

Evaporative Leak Detection Monitor (If the vehicle is equipped with an LDP system)
This monitor requires a cold start, usually an overnight soak or parked for at least 8 hours without the engine running. The engine coolant temperature must be within 10 degrees of ambient/battery temperature, and the sensed Ambient(outside) Temperature must be between approximately 40°F and 90°F.

O2 Sensor Heater Monitor
This monitor requires a cold start, usually an overnight soak or parked for at least 8 hours without the engine running. The engine coolant temperature must be within 10 degrees of ambient/battery temperature, and the sensed Ambient (outside temperature) must be between approximately 0°F and 100°F . The monitor should run directly after starting the engine.

Catalyst Monitor
The vehicle will need to be driven at a steady highway speed for a few minutes. The monitor will typically enable and start running at approximately 35 to 40 mph for 2.5L and 4.0L engines, 50 to 60 mph for all others . If the vehicle is equipped with a manual transmission, using 4th gear may assist in meeting the monitor running criteria.

O2 Sensor Monitor
The vehicle will need to be driven for a period of time at a steady highway speed. Approximately 35 to 40 mph for 2.5L and 4.0L engines, 50 to 60 mph for all others and brought to a stop for a short period of time with the Automatic Transmission left in Drive. The O2S Monitor will not run in Park or Neutral, except for vehicles equipped with a manual transmission.

Purge Monitor
The Purge Free cells must be updated before the monitor will run. The enabling conditions are similar to the O2 Sensor Monitor enabling conditions such as, the vehicle will need to be driven for a period of time at highway speeds and brought to a complete stop. The Purge Flow Monitor will attempt to run every OTHER throttle closure. If all of the parameters are met and it still does not run, with your foot firmly on the Brake, quickly open and close the throttle, this will allow another Purge Free update, and then the Purge Flow Monitor should run.

Mis-Fire Monitor
Mis-Fire monitor is continuously running during engine operation. For the Mis-Fire monitor to be enabled, the Adaptive Numerator must be learned since battery disconnect and every Key on there after (known as Power-on learning).

The Adaptive Numerator is a software learning routine that tells the PCM where the crankshaft slots are. Since every crankshaft is different, the PCM must learn exactly where its particular crankshaft slots are; otherwise its RPM calculations would be wrong.

After a battery disconnect and then a power-up of the PCM, the Adaptive Numerator is set to a value which it would be at if everything were perfect (crankshaft slots, sensors, PCM hardware, etc.). If the Adaptive Numerator is equal to the default value, no learning has happened and the Mis-Fire Monitor will not run.

To allow the PCM to learn the Adaptive Numerator, the following must happen:
Open Throttle
Engine Cool Temp above 100°F Or if below 100°F ,
Wait for ECT rise of 59°F
More than 10" Vacuum
Above 1200 RPM
Below 3000 RPM - ATX
Below 3488 RPM - MTX

Once the PCM has learned the Adaptive Numerator, the Mis-Fire Monitor will run.

Fuel System Monitor
Fuel System monitor is continuously running during engine operation.

1995 thru 2002 OBD II Monitor Enabling Criteria FWD/AWD SBEC PCM Equipped Vehicles

The following procedure has been established to assist technicians in the field with enabling and running OBD II Monitors. The order listed in the following procedure is intended to allow the technician to effectively complete each monitor and to set the CARB Readiness Status in the least time possible.

NOTE
Once the monitor run process has begun, do not turn off the ignition. By turning the ignition key off the monitor enabling conditions will be lost. Only the O2 Heater Monitor runs after key off.
By performing a battery disconnect, or erasing diagnostic trouble codes, the CARB Readiness and all additional OBD information will be cleared.
Monitor Run Process Tip
The following is an outline of the Monitoring Run Process, including suggestions and tips in order to aid in the process of meeting the enabling criteria for these monitors. The most efficient order has been outlined below, the first two monitors have very similar enable criteria, so it is possible that the Evaporative Leak Detection Monitor will run while operating the vehicle to enable the Catalyst Monitor.

Evaporative Leak Detection Monitor (If the vehicle is equipped with an LDP system)
This monitor requires a cold start, usually an overnight soak or parked for at least 8 hours without the engine running. The engine coolant temperature must be within 10 degrees of ambient/battery temperature, and the sensed Ambient (outside) temperature must be between approximately 40°F and 90°F.

Catalyst Monitor
The vehicle will need to be driven at a steady highway speed for a few minutes. The monitor will typically enable and start running around 45 to 60 mph under normal driving conditions. If the vehicle is equipped with a manual transmission, using 4th gear may assist in meeting the monitor running criteria.

EGR Monitor
The EGR monitor enable conditions are basic that the vehicle is in closed loop operation and coolant temperature above 170°F . It is necessary to maintain the TPS, MAP, MPH and RPM ranges at a constant with very little fluctuation to allow the monitor to complete during the cycle.

O2 Sensor Monitor
The vehicle will need to be driven for a period of time at highway speeds and brought to a complete stop for a short period of time, with the Automatic Transaxle left in Drive the monitor should run. The O2S Monitor will not run in Park or Neutral on Automatic Transaxle equipped vehicles.

Purge Monitor
The Purge Free cells must be updated before the monitor will run. The enabling conditions are similar to the O2 Sensor Monitor enabling conditions such as, the vehicle will need to be driven for a period of time at highway speeds and brought to a complete stop. The Purge Flow Monitor will attempt to run every OTHER throttle closure. If all of the parameters are met and it still does not run, with your foot firmly on the Brake, quickly open and close the throttle, this will allow another Purge Free update, and then the Purge Flow Monitor should run.

O2 Sensor Heater Monitor
The vehicle will need to be driven for a period of time at highway speeds to satisfy the enabling conditions for the O2 Sensor Heater Monitor. The monitor runs with the ignition key off after vehicle operation. Allow the vehicle to hot soak for a few minutes before checking to determine if the monitor completed the cycle. Turning the key on prematurely will abort the monitor test and the vehicle will have to be driven to arm the enabling conditions again.

Mis-fire Monitor
Mis-fire monitor is continuously running during engine operation. For the Mis-fire monitor to be enabled, the Adaptive Numerator must be learned since battery disconnect and every Key on there after (known as Power-on learning).

The Adaptive Numerator is a software learning routine that tells the PCM where the crankshaft slots are. Since every crankshaft is different, the POM must learn exactly where its particular crankshaft slots are; otherwise its RPM calculations would be wrong.

After a battery disconnect and then a power-up of the PCM, the Adaptive Numerator is set to a value which it would be at if everything were perfect (crankshaft slots, sensors, PCM hardware, etc.). If the Adaptive Numerator is equal to the default value, no learning has happened and the Mis-Fire Monitor will not run.

To allow the PCM to learn the Adaptive Numerator, the following must happen:
Open Throttle
Engine Cool Temp above 100°F Or if below 100°F ,
Wait for ECT rise of 59°F
More than 10" Vacuum
Above 1200 RPM
Below 3000 RPM - ATX
Below 3488 RPM - MTX

Once the PCM has learned the Adaptive Numerator, the Mis-Fire Monitor will run.

Fuel system Monitor
Fuel System monitor is continuously running during engine operation.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:27 AM

Wow, thanks for posting all that.

I found on another forum that said you can get codes by doing the following:

Turn Aux on, off, on, off, then on again. When I did it, the third "on" the check engine light stayed on for about 2 seconds, and then the odometer mileage flashed, went blank, and then said "DONE". The check engine light didn't blink at all, so that means I'm in perfect running order.

And I did Pass emissions today.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 04-09-2017, 01:28 AM
Seasoned Member

Oh nice. Good to hear.