Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Removing fan shroud on '98 Grand

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Removing fan shroud on '98 Grand

This seems a really silly question but is there a trick to removing the fan shroud on a '98 Grand Cherokee?
I've got to change the water pump. The manual just says "remove shroud" and shows a picture of someone undoing the obvious top bolts. However there appear to be a couple of bolts down the bottom that can't be accessed because of the AC. I can't believe I have to pull half the front of the Jeep apart, just to get the fan shroud off, so I reckon I've missed something here somewhere!
I'd very much appreciate someone pointing out where I'm going wrong.
I obviously wasn't being very smart yesterday as I posted this in the wrong forum so there's every chance that I missed something obvious in my mechanical endeavours!
Old 08-02-2012, 04:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Unbolt the fan and then remove both at the same time. There are only two bolts at the top and clips at the bottom of the shroud.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Unbolt the fan and then remove both at the same time. There are only two bolts at the top and clips at the bottom of the shroud.
Ah-ha, there's only clips at the bottom? That makes a difference. Manual says "note, some of the mounting bolts can only be reached from underneath" I've been looking for those bolts. Thought I'd found them but that must be the clips. My fault for reading the manual, making a simple task complicated!
Thanks!
Old 08-02-2012, 05:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by nutwood
My fault for reading the manual, making a simple task complicated!
Thanks!
my grandpa told me once that when he was a tech in a dodge dealer, in the troubleshooting section of a manual, in step 3 it told you to fix something that you wouldnt know was broken until step 9 lol
Old 08-05-2012, 03:41 AM

Job done, but there was bit more to it than just undoing the two bolts at the top and lifting out with the fan. Ended up having to take off the cross member that sits across the top of the radiator and has the bonnet catch attached to it, along with the little brackets with the shroud studs on. Shroud just wouldn't come out until I gave it a bit more freedom.
Once it was loosened up a bit it came out readily enough but not before. The various pipes wouldn't give it enough clearance.