Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Rear lift gate ajar??

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Rear lift gate ajar??

My 98 grand cherokee keeps saying the rear lift gate is ajar and I have unplugged the glass sensor and the latch sensor. As you drive down the road the display will go on and off saying the gate is ajar. Seems like it stays on most of the time going straight down the road but if you make hard turns the display says its shut and then once you straighten the wheel it says its open again. Is there another sensor I'm missing? If not I'm thinking there is a pinched or broken wire somewhere that is causing my problem. Seems like this is a common problem but I would think once I unplugged both of my sensors there is no way the display would know if the gate is open or closed. If anyone has any ideas they will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Check the wiring that goes to those two switches, there may be a spot that is grounding out and causing the light to come on.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Thats what I am figuring as well. So there is only those two sensors for the rear lift gate? I imagine the wiring goes into the headliner area from the liftgate? I'm wondering if there is a plug somewhere in the jeep that I can disconnect. The problem with a grounding wire is that it doesn't do it all the time so its hard to dublicate while the jeep is sitting still.