Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Questions on lifting '96 Grand Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Questions on lifting '96 Grand Cherokee

Hi Everyone,
New to this forum thing but thought I would give it a shot. I have been jeep'n for several years and have lot's of experience with builds, but they have always been leaf sprung.
Now I have an opportunity to build a '96 gc from stock. I want it to be on road capable/legal, but primarily built for rock crawling. I am thinking minimum 35" tires, maybe up to 37". I don't mind cutting up the body. I am assuming I need to upgrade to a dana 44 up front? Also, it is currently a "quadratrac" model transfer case, thinking about scraping that? How much lift will I need and which are some of the better over the counter brands. I also don't mind mixing and matching junk yard springs to get the lift I need, just have no experience at all with coils and links.
Thanks for any feedback.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by jeepn'nc
Hi Everyone,
New to this forum thing but thought I would give it a shot. I have been jeep'n for several years and have lot's of experience with builds, but they have always been leaf sprung.
Now I have an opportunity to build a '96 gc from stock. I want it to be on road capable/legal, but primarily built for rock crawling. I am thinking minimum 35" tires, maybe up to 37". I don't mind cutting up the body. I am assuming I need to upgrade to a dana 44 up front? Also, it is currently a "quadratrac" model transfer case, thinking about scraping that? How much lift will I need and which are some of the better over the counter brands. I also don't mind mixing and matching junk yard springs to get the lift I need, just have no experience at all with coils and links.
Thanks for any feedback.
I'm confused, so you stated early on "they have always been leaf sprung" and near the end you concluded with "dont mind junk yard springs".

I wouldn't bastard pack anything for crawling on 35s-37s. I know many people running the IRO radius arms lift's on their Grands and very happy with them. This also applies to XJs but not near as many as the ZJ/WJ group. Granted this stuff is bolt on...but it will hold up.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:21 PM

Thanks, What I meant is I am no stranger to scrounging stuff from yards, so if anyone had any suggestions as to coils I could take off something else, that would meet my needs, I am not opposed to that. Sounds like over the counter may be the way to go for the amount of lift I want/need.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by jeepn'nc
Thanks, What I meant is I am no stranger to scrounging stuff from yards, so if anyone had any suggestions as to coils I could take off something else, that would meet my needs, I am not opposed to that. Sounds like over the counter may be the way to go for the amount of lift I want/need.
Aftermarket is best, don't JY coils. If you were lucky you could get a good 4" or 5" out of some truck coils but even then it would be a stiff ride.