Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Question about body/suspension lifts

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 242 cu in
Default Question about body/suspension lifts

i have a 98 jeep grand Cherokee and i was looking to do either body or suspension nothing crazy just enough to get 33's on but was wondering which is more reliable/ cost friendly

this shouldn't be my first post but I'm always here reading posts about problems, and finally decided to join
Old 11-02-2011, 03:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

no such thing as a body lift for these things. they are unibodies. theres a million ways of going about lifting the GC, it all depends on how high you wanna go and how much you wanna spend
Old 11-02-2011, 03:39 PM

nothing crazy my old ladys only 5 nothing haha but like 3" roughly or close to
Old 11-02-2011, 03:42 PM
CF Veteran

If you figure out how to do a body lift let me know and we can become rich together.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:55 PM

well if your looking for a quick cheap fix ill post pics this weekend of mine.... im getting 3 in lift coils putting them up front and putting my stock coils in the rear. gets about 3 inches overall.... very cheap and quick
Old 11-02-2011, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
well if your looking for a quick cheap fix ill post pics this weekend of mine.... im getting 3 in lift coils putting them up front and putting my stock coils in the rear. gets about 3 inches overall.... very cheap and quick

please do email me or i can give ya my number and txt me if you run into any problems/fixs you needed to do ! that would be great man thank you
Old 11-02-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by troy fritz
If you figure out how to do a body lift let me know and we can become rich together.
i tried to tell this guy that i had a unibody but he swore up and down i could do one i felt stupid asking but now i feel REAL stupid haha
Old 11-02-2011, 08:50 PM

443-466-6630 i can send you pics this weekend when i start the job....

the last week ive been spraying PB Blaster on the shocks, sway bar end links, control arms and track bar.... with all those off you could pretty much lift the truck as high as you have to go more then enough to lift the springs out. but ill post up a little thread when i do it. or can atleast let you know... prolly pretty easy and all just wondering what rough spots im gonna hit
Old 11-02-2011, 11:32 PM

443-466-6630 i can send you pics this weekend when i start the job....

the last week ive been spraying PB Blaster on the shocks, sway bar end links, control arms and track bar.... with all those off you could pretty much lift the truck as high as you have to go more then enough to lift the springs out. but ill post up a little thread when i do it. or can atleast let you know... prolly pretty easy and all just wondering what rough spots im gonna hit
814-329-8121 is mine ill txt ya so you have it cant wait!
Old 11-03-2011, 03:32 AM

Model: Cherokee

You can do the old BB thing and simply install 2" coil spacers which would run you about $100 before shocks or you could do new coils in which you can basically choose any size lift you want. 3" is about the max though without making major changes.

I did the BB thing for about two and a half years, but then my isolators got about completely flat and my front springs started sagging pretty badly (I run a winch up front sometimes). I just pulled out the coils, isolators and spacers and went to Old Man Emu HD springs on new isolators. Nets about 3" on a standard WJ suspension or 2" on the Up Country suspension. Clears my 265/65/17 tires nicely.

So far, very pleased with the new coils...

Old 11-03-2011, 08:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Le2master22
i tried to tell this guy that i had a unibody but he swore up and down i could do one i felt stupid asking but now i feel REAL stupid haha
A lot of people who have been used to body lifts on a framed vehicle associate coil spring spacers with a body lift simply because they aren't springs so it must not be a suspension lift, they look similar to a body lift, and yes they do actually lift the (uni)body. Some Jeepers get the biggest kick out of busting their cojones over it, but it's really not that big of a deal.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:00 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992

Well i see your looking to run 33's...well i have no idea how much lift i have...i'd say about 1-2"s and im sitting on 33x12.5's...but with a lot of modifications(removed front bumper, trimmed fenders, and took a BFH to the inner fenders, correct backspaced wheels) unless your looking to do this, i'd go with somewhere around 3-4" lift...mines more of a low cog rig for when the snow comes this winter...then come next summer she will go up a few inches so she has some flex off roading...O and if moneys tight and you decide to stay under 2"s of lift you dont have to get anything other than lift spacers or lift springs...here's a pic of my zj so u have an idea.

Last edited by Kyle 4x4 4life; 11-04-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:24 PM

just put my lift on today... 60 bucks for 3 in lift coils and put the stock front coils in the back and turned out AMAZING!!! tomorrow i will get some measurements and tell you how much lift i got at each corner... that is in my opinion the best route. for the simple fact that you have that flex like what i see in coil spacers you still have the same amount of flex all you have is the tire clearnce.

ill txt you in the morning when i get up and get some pics with her flexing a little and how she looks after the coils.

heres a pic of when i got the front coils on and not the backs yet. the parking lot slopes down in the front and to the pass side so it doesnt look like its that lifted lol but you can see the space in the fenders

Old 11-04-2011, 09:29 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992

just put my lift on today... 60 bucks for 3 in lift coils and put the stock front coils in the back and turned out AMAZING!!! tomorrow i will get some measurements and tell you how much lift i got at each corner... that is in my opinion the best route. for the simple fact that you have that flex like what i see in coil spacers you still have the same amount of flex all you have is the tire clearnce.

ill txt you in the morning when i get up and get some pics with her flexing a little and how she looks after the coils.

heres a pic of when i got the front coils on and not the backs yet. the parking lot slopes down in the front and to the pass side so it doesnt look like its that lifted lol but you can see the space in the fenders

Your stock shocks work with the 3" spacers? Im about to order some now, and if i can go 3" without new shocks i'll do it.lol
Old 11-04-2011, 09:45 PM

mine arent spacers. i got 3 in lift coils. and put them up front and put the stock front coil springs in the back. and idk i know im extremely pushing the expand limits of my stock shocks, but im trying to hunt down a set of 3 in lift shocks to make everything a little better and easier ride

Quick Reply: Question about body/suspension lifts