Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

PCV valve eblow replacement? 96 grand cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default PCV valve eblow replacement? 96 grand cherokee

well.. was doing some routine maintainence on my ZJ... replaced the air filter, got some seafoam that ill do this weekend, and well.. i took the PCV valve off and it was clogged the entire length of the valve.. and quite possibly much of the hose...

now to be sure... this is the part i need to replace, right? its the part that was clogged in the worse way possible

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znet...47057/image/4/

hope that link worked.. i have one on special order from NAPA

anyway... i have a check engine light that pops up once in a while, OBD2 codes suggest fuel/air mixture problems which leads me to think O2 sensor which ill be testing soon with a voltmeter... but im curious, could a clogged PCV valve also result in these error codes, as well as poor emissions? (it failed its emissions test)... im just wondering how great it would be if this $5 fitting fixed these problems without me having to individual test O2 sensors
Old 07-01-2011, 02:35 PM

hey.. i replaced the PCV valve.. but also before hooking the hose back up i ran 1/3 can of seafoam through it.. as well as put a third in the oil, and third in the tank

anyway... after the smoke cleared from the seafoam, i noticed the color of the exhaust was significantly cleaner than before... i never noticed it before, but apparently it was smoking more than average

im curious.. did the seafoam make this change, or was it the fact that the PCV/CCV valve was no longer clogged and allowed gasses to be sucked through that stopped oil from being sucked into the intake to be burnt in the engine that caused a small amount of smoke to stop?

im confident itll pass emissions tests now...seems the PCV was all i needed to make it run much smoother
Old 07-01-2011, 03:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

I (& others) can't remember if you have the 4.0L or the V8. You need to put the Info about your Jeep in your Details so people can answer your questions correctly. It does make a big difference sometimes.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:10 PM

yeah.. i should do that.. its a 4.0

i specifically wanted the 4.0 since it seems to be a reliable, well made engine thats easy to find parts for