Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

oxygen sensor/upper control arm

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default oxygen sensor/upper control arm

Year:2002

damaged O2 Sensors
Cause of problem(if known): front upper control arm keeps hit the O2 Sensor
Specifics of repair work carried out:

I had replaced the catalytic converter for my truck last month, and since then I had my check engine light on, with five different codes, and they are all related to the O2 sensors, I have been told that I need to replace the O2 sensors as well.
Since then my battery keeps getting drained and dying, and I had jumped start my car many times, I replaced the battery three weeks ago, same thing happens to the new battery.
last week the car did not start at all, so I had to tow the car to a Goodyear shop, where I got the alternator replaced with a new one, and one of the O2 sensor which was found damaged and the wires leading to the oxygen sensor were broken and burned out.
I drove the car for few days, it was running fine, yesterday the check engine light is back on with P0152 code, and the battery started getting drained as well.
I checked the O2 sensor which was replaced last week, I found it is damaged as well and the wires leading to it were broken and burned out.
I have noticed that upper control arm is very close to it, which most likely every time keeps I drive the car hitting the sensor and damages the wires and stainless steel housing at the back. (see the attached pictures )
It seems it is a very bad design for the catalytic converter, as the space between the upper control arm and the O2 sensor is very small
Any suggestions or solutions

many thanks
Attached Images   
Old 03-05-2014, 06:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Take it back to the place that installed the catalytic converter, it's their screw up and subpar work that is causing the sensors to get chewed up. They should fix it at no charge and should refund you for the sensors. If they blow you off then you will make a call the the BBB.