Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Noise that starts at 25mph

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Noise that starts at 25mph

Hello everyone - 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition - I had a noise that just started - best I can describe is it sounds like rubber against metal - not really a wine or grind, more a constant screech/screech/schreech - happens almost always at 25 mph - consistent until you get up to 55mph at which time the wind noise cancels my ability to still hear it but I'm assuming its still there.....as you slow down the noise will progressively change pitch until around 20 mph at which point it stops. It sounds to me to be in the front - you can hear it on both driver and passenger side but its slighltly more clear on the driver side. Braking/steering/shifting to neutral and revving the motor have no impact on the sound. I've checked front/rear diffs/transfer case/cv boots are not split, no evidence of any fluid/grease - all fluids are spot on. Tires are 5 months old and balanced. When you pass a parked car the sound echo's against it so I'm confident its drivetrain related (not loose bodywork/etc). Any thoughts? I only visually checked my U joints and they "appear" fine. Thanks for any help!!
Old 03-14-2011, 12:08 PM

Just wanted to post an update - the noise to me now seems like a high pitch metallic rub - not really a whine - more of a contstant screeching when it starts. Its now become more intermittent - sometimes its fine for 5 miles and then it will start. Other mornings it starts right away but always stops as you decelerate and approach about 20mph. Any ideas at all? Its definately coming from the left front wheel - do I repalce the bearings and cv and hope for the best or go after something else?
Old 03-14-2011, 12:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0

Did you check if your front brake pads are not worn out
Old 03-14-2011, 02:17 PM

Front Pads and Rotors as well as 4 tires were replaced approx 1200 miles ago. I even pulled the calipers as well because that was my first suspect area and I saw nothing abnormal. The noise does not dissipate when you brake or swerve....it does not even change pitch.....
Old 03-14-2011, 05:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

backing plate on breaks rubbing on the rotor.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by tiwvr1
backing plate on breaks rubbing on the rotor.
no backing plates up front and I'm 99% sure the noise is drivers side front wheel....my guess is I'm just replacing the cv and front bearings and hoping for the best....there's no play in the bearing though which has me wondering if its even bad...and the cv boot is intact - do they generally fail when still intact?
Old 03-15-2011, 08:57 AM

Year: 89
Engine: 4.0 ho

Originally Posted by nickyd
Just wanted to post an update - the noise to me now seems like a high pitch metallic rub - not really a whine - more of a contstant screeching when it starts. Its now become more intermittent - sometimes its fine for 5 miles and then it will start. Other mornings it starts right away but always stops as you decelerate and approach about 20mph. Any ideas at all? Its definately coming from the left front wheel - do I repalce the bearings and cv and hope for the best or go after something else?
Originally Posted by 99 Purple XJ
Did you check if your front brake pads are not worn out
My 94 did the same thing. Take ur front drive shaft out and see if it goes away if so then it the cv shaft if not then its the hub
Old 03-15-2011, 01:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

Originally Posted by nickyd
I had a similar situation with my 04. Only the issue would only happen if I drove it for a distance of 20 miles or more. The noise happened more at low speeds just as you stated. I changed fluid in front and rear diff and it made no difference. I then changed the fluid in my Transfer case which seemed at first made no difference but after another 1000 miles of me sayin "whatever! I'll just let it blow up, thats what warranties are for" the noise went away on its own. That was about 2 years ago and everything is still fine!!
Old 03-16-2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by FAlfani81
I had a similar situation with my 04. Only the issue would only happen if I drove it for a distance of 20 miles or more. The noise happened more at low speeds just as you stated. I changed fluid in front and rear diff and it made no difference. I then changed the fluid in my Transfer case which seemed at first made no difference but after another 1000 miles of me sayin "whatever! I'll just let it blow up, thats what warranties are for" the noise went away on its own. That was about 2 years ago and everything is still fine!!
I might give that a whirl - my t-case fluid has not yet been changed but the others were - what did the noise sound like. I drove it again last night (wife's car so I am not in it a lot) - the best I can describe the sound now is that it sounds like when you blow up a balloon and let the air out and pull the inlet apart when you were a kid...its a sqeal almost just like that.....
Old 03-16-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by CRAWL THIS
My 94 did the same thing. Take ur front drive shaft out and see if it goes away if so then it the cv shaft if not then its the hub

mine has all wheel drive quadra trac II - I thought the T-case I have will get toasted if I drive without the front driveshaft....
Old 03-16-2011, 12:11 PM

Year: 89
Engine: 4.0 ho

no my buddy has his out and its beend out for about 6mnth now cause he's a tight *** and won't spend money
In ur case you will prob fix it right away so it won't hurt it at all