Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

No radio, no climate control, no vic. Need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default No radio, no climate control, no vic. Need help

New here and hoping for some help. I have a 1996 grand cherokee limited that has lost the use of the central instrument. The radio, climate controls and vic no longer work. Did the usual fuse check and wire burn check. Pulled the body control module and junction fuse box but no signs of damage or voltage burns. I tried each unit individually to check for internal shorts with no difference. The only thing that made a difference was replacing the aftermarket radio with the original factory radio. As soon as I connected the ground and tried to start the vehicle, it sounded like the starter was bad and I couldn't get the thing to turn over. I disconnected the negative battery terminal and reconnected it after a few minutes and it was back to normal. I think there may be a bad ground somewhere and it looks like the three harnesses to the central instruments share a lot of common wires. I've searched the net and a few specific sites but just can't find any info on this. Any suggestions or information would be much appreciated.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:25 AM

Replacing all related fuses today. Again, any help would be appreciated
Old 06-09-2016, 10:51 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

The Limited's BCM (Body Control Module) controls all of this (the "up-level", or upgraded factory radio, the digital climate controls, and the VIC). Somewhere you have a fault in the BCM that is causing everything to go out... do your steering wheel controls for the cruise control and radio still work (or at least the cruise controls)? Because they're all connected to the BCM, too. You're going to have to get access to computer that plugs into the OBD-II port (same port they use to test your Jeep's emissions) to diagnose the issue.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:36 AM

Totally appreciate the input. In my pursuit of the problem I think I nailed what it was. I need to check a wiring diagram to go through the common wires between all three central instruments. Long story short, I believe there was a bad fuse which wasn't blown and the vic had a short that was drawing power from the radio and climate control. The fuse in question is the one labeled "rad/hvac" at the junction block. I replaced it and fried the vic. It also blew the "radio" fuse in the junction block. I replaced the fuses and the radio and climate controls are working again. Going to hunt down a vic delete tray to put in place of the cooked vic.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:33 AM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I have a 2002 Santa Clause Fe ( unique proprietor purchased in 2001) and in 2006 I had the primary disappointment of this module, purchased two transistors for under $20.00, worked fine for an additional 4 years so in 2010 I supplanted the transistor once more (with my second 'save' transistor),,,,so now prepare to have your mind blown. it's bombed once more! (Appears I get 4 years use) Yet I overlooked the transistor p/n and when I evacuated the module the transistor was eroded and everything I could make out is MJ11xxxx so I went searching for the transistor number on the web and ran over this webpage. I just purchased a pack of 12 now and now I will have 11 extras in the event that anybody needs one I will mail them one for $10 including shipping! ( I will sell 10)! On the off chance that you like send me the module I will trade the transistor for an extra $35 (incorporates return shipping) however it's anything but difficult to supplant yourself, simply be carful to utilize a heatsink on the legs of the transistor when welding. (This transistor is what's know as a darlington pair (really 2 tr in one bundle) and can be handily harmed by terminal warmth on the base leg. All the best and avoid the sellers!, .
Tutuapp 9apps Showbox

Last edited by nafelik; 03-23-2020 at 02:24 AM.