Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Newbie Question.. Proceedure for shifting '96 into 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Newbie Question.. Proceedure for shifting '96 into 4x4?

We're buying a '96, 4x4 Grand Cherokee with a 5.2 liter, IF, we can determine whether the 4x4 works. Right now the current owner has the forward drive shaft out of the car. Why? I have no idea and he wasn't terribly clear about it.

So he's reinstalling it, right side forward - if it matters - and we'll go test it tomorrow. Since he has no clue how it works and neither do I, what should I look for? There is a lever with Hi4-N-Lo4 next to the transmission and that's about all we know about it. There is no users manual in the car so that's not an option atm.

Since this things going to be going to Alaska I'm trying to make sure it will make the 3k mile trip up the Alcan Hiway. It's got 130k on the odometer, idles smooth, shifts nice and drives straight and smooth except for an off center steering wheel. An alignment is indicated as far as I'm concerned.

Was this 4x4 designed to not drive the front wheels when it had N selected? Is there a gas mileage advantage to disconnecting the front drive? Lot of ignorance about the issue from our side of the hill. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:30 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

It sounds like you have the Quadradrive 4wd system.
Follow this link: http://www.jeep.com/en/4x4/how_systems_work/quadra_drive_2/

You do not need to worry about Neutral, that's only used when you are towing the vehicle. This system is designed to be in 4wd hi all the time, wet or dry. The best way to find out if it works is drive it like normal, then shift it into 4LO and see if it moves.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:53 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 high output

i think the front drive shaft is out because the viscous coupler has issues,also if it has been driven any length of time without the front drive shaft it has coupler damage. this is inside the transfer case and cannot survive being driven with no front drive shaft. my dad is a jeep technician and told me this. nice scor on the jeep though!
Old 04-11-2010, 10:08 PM

Thanks. The link explains a lot. Also found this one: http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_4x4.htm#QDII

And this one on YouTube:

I'm wondering if someone just didn't want the full time 4 wheel "dragging" down the mileage? Hope the front diff hasn't sat idle up there for too long and now is in need of repair.

I can only imagine how long it's been since the gear lube has been changed in those axles.

Does this recommendation for lube and timing still hold?
http://www.wjjeeps.com/service/maintenance_wj.htm

Again, Thanks...

Back to searching the forum. Still looking for a pdf version of the Users Manual.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by 93,2door,xj
i think the front drive shaft is out because the viscous coupler has issues,also if it has been driven any length of time without the front drive shaft it has coupler damage. this is inside the transfer case and cannot survive being driven with no front drive shaft. my dad is a jeep technician and told me this. nice scor on the jeep though!
Well, this should be interesting. Any tips on what to look for while driving? I'd be willing to bet that the drive shaft has been removed for at least 10,000 miles.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96 Limited ZJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 w/mods

96-98 NP249s are redesigned so it is fine running with no drive shaft in the front. The 93-95 NP249s the VC is common to go and running without the front shaft will make them go out faster.

Put the front shaft in and drive it. If all seems normal then its all good. I run with out my front drive shaft during the summer months and install it come winter.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:00 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 high output

as long as the front wheels dont "chirp" when turning and every thing seems normal you are most likely good! have fun with your jeep!