Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Newbie with a 96 2.5TD sport

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5TD
Default Newbie with a 96 2.5TD sport

Hello, I am new to the forums and being 66yrs old not that good when it comes to computers. Anyway I recently bought a 96 2.5 TD sport which had been stood a couple of years. It was from a freind who parked it up when his wife aquired a new 5 series BMW. The bodywork is mint but with it being stood rust has got to some of the parts, mainly the brakes,pipes and floor. I have repaired/renovated these but there are two problems I am stumbling on. The first is the clutch,no pressure until the pedal is pumped. I presumed this to be air in the system and bled it first by pumping the pedal as in brake bleeding and then using an auto bleeder to no avail (I can still get some clutch if I pump the pedal then it goes when released). Secondly the steering is lumpy with tight spots when the s/wheel is turned,fluid is up to level and no slipping belt. I read somewhere that the clutch master/slave come pre charged does this mean they cannot be bled. Does any other Master/slave cylinders fit fitted with bleed nipples? Any advice will be much appreciated. P.S My freind said these parts were working fine when it was parked. Cheers, Mike
Old 04-06-2010, 07:59 PM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

this is a grand cherokee with a 2.5 diesel? hhmm... probly gonna be hard to get alot of help... lol... have you tried flushing the clutch line out and then installing new and bleeding properly? sure your bleeding properly? which transmission is in thoughs? ill try and help as best i can but we dont have the diesels over here really... maybe a few... but not a normal thing...
Old 04-07-2010, 02:46 AM

Hello, Thank you for your reply. I am sorry I posted on the wrong site and didn't realize until after I had pressed the send button. Is it possible to put this on the Cherokee site? I have bled the clutch line enough times to have replenished the fluid. There is no loss of fluid from the clutch hydraulic system. I can only asume that there is air in the sytem or fluid is just bypassing the seals in either the Master or slave. There is no blead nipple on the slave just a cap screw ( Allen screw ). The position of this is half way along and on the underside of the slave, I would have thought this should be at the top or at the end if it was there for bleeding, however I tried but to no avail. The manual says these are ( the master and slave) come as a sealed unit. Do you know if another slave/master can be used. Thank you for your assistance in this
Old 04-07-2010, 03:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

Welcome to the forum from Fantic.
You have a cherokee sport with the 2.5 VM motori turbo diesel (separated heads) right?
Where are you located? Europe or Canada?
Anyway the gearbox should be the AX15 and they are known for master/slave failure.
You have no leak but the fluid passes by the seal on the cylinder piston and goes back to the reservoir.
In this case you need to replace the bad one (usually the slave) but i suggest you change both.
You can find them on e-bay at a reasonable price or at your favourite parts store.
For the steering you might want to grease the ball joints on the knuckles and the steering linkage.
If you have any other issues with the engine feel free to ask me what you want.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:12 AM

Hello Fantic, Thanks for getting back. I live in Derbyshire, England but was born in Sheffield once famous for its cutlery,engineering and steel. Took a pounding in WW2 because we were making the Spitfire (Rolls Royce Merlin )crankshafts and naval gun barrels. Anyway back to business,you have got the model right. Is it correct that both the slave and Master come as a sealed unit,pre pressurised? If not do you know if anyone sells seal kits for these. Can you recommend any dealers/web sites for parts? By the way the engine is sweet,starts every time, no smoke and no heavy breathing through the oil filler. Each time I spend time on it I get more enthusiastic. Thanks for your time and info,Mike
Old 04-15-2010, 07:17 AM

Hello Fantic, I tried bleeding the clutch system once more but to no avail. I enquired about supply and cost at our local motor spares supplier and the price of the master/slave kit was £160, and came as a sealed system. I then found a supplier who could get just the slave ( £60 ) and I collected it today. I was suprised that the slave is made of plastic. Is it possible to fit a normal bleed nipple to these to assist bleeding instead of the cap screw. Because I was able to buy just the slave, and the kit ( master/slave)comes as a sealed system,there must be some proceedure for bleeding. Any idea's? Tks. Mike
Old 04-15-2010, 07:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

There are many aftermarket builders for this part, posting a picture of it would help to see if it has a bleed screw or not. If it doesn't have a bleed screw just bleed it by the input line.