Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

new member, noobie question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default new member, noobie question

hey guys im still messing around with this 95 xj, 4.0 it was idling kinda rough and low and once n a while itll act like it wants to stall. did tune up ( plugs wires cap, rotor, air filter,oil change and i also replaced the throttle control valve) it still wants to stall just not as often. it also idles awfully low, where or what do i adjust to raise the idle a lil bit?? and what else am i missing to make it want to stall.
i was reading and i have a small vacume leak on my ccv on the back of the valve cover ( looks like a pcv) that has a tube goin to something on the drivers side toward the front. it leaks where the tube goes into the ccv.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 w/K&N Intake

Originally Posted by jessezipper
...i was reading and i have a small vacume leak on my ccv on the back of the valve cover ( looks like a pcv) that has a tube goin to something on the drivers side toward the front. it leaks where the tube goes into the ccv.
Fix the vacuum leak.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:35 PM

cool , thats what i was thinkin.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Engine: 4.0

Vacuum leaks tend to raise the idle up on speed density fuel inj. Fix it anyway though but if thats not it, remove air breather tube and clean throttle body and IACV. Its best to open the throttle plate and clean the plate and bore. And old tooth brush and can a carb cleaner works good. Then remove the IAC valve and clean the tip and passage the tip goes into.

Its best to unplug the battery to let the PCM "relearn" idle strategy, a few mins will work but I usually unplug battery, clean T/B & IAC and then plug battery back in.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:25 PM

new update....
replaced throttle control valve, idle air valve, still got the vacume leak (waiting on ccv, and all new vacume lines for ccv and the air box to valve coverr, should be in tomorrow) but heres the real issue now, the previous owner hit something and the drivers side was crushed in some. i replaced the head, turn , n marker lights, and noticed the vapor canister was crushed. after we pulled out the bumper the canister fell aprt and it started running like crap and damn near stalling, then itll run fine for a while, and then run like crap agian. will fixing all the vacume lines and replacing the canister fix this or is it something else??? i did disconect the computer so itll reset itself when i replaced the iac and tcv.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: V8

Any vacuum leak will effect the way the Jeep runs.

Ron
Old 05-08-2011, 07:34 PM

i thought so , but the idle was irratic and it almost stalls and catches it self. im hoping the canister and lines fixes this
Old 05-12-2011, 09:38 PM

replaced the vacume lines with all new lines. still ocasionally hiccups or bucks while driving