Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

New Member ad a Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L
Default New Member ad a Question

Good morning, I have recently become the owner of a 1995 GC. The truck is suppose to have a accel/decell clunk. The previous owner removed the drive shaft and says it drives a bit squirrelly so I have not driven it yet. I took the driveshaft yesterday to look at it and found the 1 ujoint looks bad allow slop which may be the problem but I am not sure what is going on on the other end. Please take a look at the pics and give your opinion. Thanks Jim
Attached Images   
Old 06-17-2013, 12:02 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

I see that all the time. Looks like someone used a pry bar on the shaft to get it to clear the yoke instead of jacking up the suspension. while removing the shaft. I would take the shaft to a driveline shop and have them rebuild it and balance the shaft.

Miles
Old 06-17-2013, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by JBimmolate
I see that all the time. Looks like someone used a pry bar on the shaft to get it to clear the yoke instead of jacking up the suspension. while removing the shaft. I would take the shaft to a driveline shop and have them rebuild it and balance the shaft.

Miles
Thanks for the answer. The pry bar did the damage on the ujoint end or the other? Could I put a new ujoint in and go from there for now until I get everything organized with it? I am worried the trans may be bad and would fix it all then or maybe just get a replacement shaft. Thanks. Jim
Old 06-17-2013, 03:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

i bet there was no vibration or clunk. the PO probably took the driveshaft out to hide the viscous coupler failure. new viscous coupler is around 350, and thats if you replace it yourself.

even if it wasnt bad before, its bad now because its been driven with the driveshaft out.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by dnuccio
i bet there was no vibration or clunk. the PO probably took the driveshaft out to hide the viscous coupler failure. new viscous coupler is around 350, and thats if you replace it yourself.

even if it wasnt bad before, its bad now because its been driven with the driveshaft out.
He wouldn't tried to hide anything. He is my next door neighbor and we are like Family. He was going to junk it and was wondering if he could get $700 for it so I gave him the $700. I helped him put the lift on last summer. Does it matter how far he drove with the shaft off? I am new to this all and need to research the "viscous couple". I am coming over from the Suzuki and Muscle Car worlds. Thanks. Jim