Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

New jeep owner-couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New jeep owner-couple questions

Hey everyone! I just got a 97 GC larado automatic 4x2 v6 with 170k miles for 1k$. Runs fantastic and is super clean, but i know theres work to be done.

Here are some of my questions...

1. Anything specific i need to worry about with a jeep this old and miles i need to worry about? i.e. trans, belts, pumps/pulleys replacement. I would like to get a heads up on big pieces i can solve early before they wreak my pocketbook?

2. My auto door locks work - most of the time. Any advice on how to fix them or a place to buy the parts?

3. My key-less entry doesn't work even with new batteries. Any advice on how to get it working again? location of the sensor/relay etc.

4. An easy way to fix minor front door panel pieces from separating from the foam underneath? Type of glue or something, maybe a cheap place to order new panels?

5. I'm looking for a web site to order and to buy new rubber door stops for the back hatch. Kragan doesn't carry them. It might help with the noise it makes when i hit bumps etc. any ideas?

Thanks,

Mikejeep

Last edited by mikejeep; 07-26-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

170K for Jeep is not that much. I have 246,000 and runs good. Some people reported 310,000. Just regular service, check fluid and change when need. Check the belts for cracks. I use super glue on door panel(foam showing) and works good. I do not have alarm in mine, so I can not advise on key less entry. The back hatch door, I mess up mine and have rattling when hit any bumps. I believe that plastic cover for back door lock crack. That is what happen to me. I am looking at junkyards for lock assembly. If you maintain the Jeep, it my out live you.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by mikejeep
Hey everyone! I just got a 97 GC larado automatic 4x2 v6 with 170k miles for 1k$. Runs fantastic and is super clean, but i know theres work to be done.

Here are some of my questions...

1. Anything specific i need to worry about with a jeep this old and miles i need to worry about? i.e. trans, belts, pumps/pulleys replacement. I would like to get a heads up on big pieces i can solve early before they wreak my pocketbook?

2. My auto door locks work - most of the time. Any advice on how to fix them or a place to buy the parts?

3. My key-less entry doesn't work even with new batteries. Any advice on how to get it working again? location of the sensor/relay etc.

4. An easy way to fix minor front door panel pieces from separating from the foam underneath? Type of glue or something, maybe a cheap place to order new panels?

5. I'm looking for a web site to order and to buy new rubber door stops for the back hatch. Kragan doesn't carry them. It might help with the noise it makes when i hit bumps etc. any ideas?

Thanks,

Mikejeep
Welcome to CF!
1. I'd change the trans. fluid & filter, then every 30,000 miles. Change the rear axle lube. Flush the cooling system. Drain & replace the old brake fluid.
2.,3.,& 4. No help or advice.
5. I'd check the dealer. They still stock, or can locate, plenty of the parts for these vehicles.