Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

New to Grand Cherokees, Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 6 cylinder
Question New to Grand Cherokees, Issues

I've been a Wrangler owner for 13 years and sadly departed with it last Friday. I got a 98 Grand Cherokee, 4.0. I'm having a few issues that just aren't making me feel comfortable with the truck quite yet. I'm hoping to run them by you guys and hopefully get some suggestions.

My main concern right now is this. It starts up and runs fine when idling for a while. Then all of the sudden, it starts spitting and sputtering and carrying on like it's going to stall, but it never actually stalls. It also sometimes does this when acclerating from a stop. I had the codes read and came up with PO132 and PO138. Both o2 sensor codes. The previous owner stated he had changed the the sensor within the last month or two, so I'm wondering if there's an underlying problem here. Both codes stated, o2s CKT HIGH VOLTS 1. For PO132 it says possible causes are the oxygen sensor heater circuit is shorted out. For PO138 is says faulty sensor or short to battery voltage in o2 sensor signal circuit.
So....any suggestions/ideas?

My other concern is a hum coming for the rear end somewhere. My initial thought what was wheel bearings, but then I was told everything is in the axle so the rear might need to be rebuilt altogether. Not what I was hoping to hear.

The other problem is no reverse lights, but I'm pretty sure that is the Neutral Safety Switch. Either need a new one or rebuild the one that's there.

And lastly, the front floors are soaked! Previous owner said it was just from wiring for all the lights he had being run in there. So we shall see if this hopefully goes away.

Thanks for any feedback. At this point, I am really missing my Wrangler! I just want to get to the point where I feel like I can trust this GC like I could trust my Wrangler.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Welcome to CF. Can't help with the first issue.
The humming could be rear wheel bearings, carrier bearings, or pinion bearings.
The wet floor could be a clogged AC drain. ET JEEP posted an excellent thread about fixing this on ZJ's. >->https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f52/ac...pet-fix-24246/