Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 01:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire

I been having a misfire on all 6 cylinders i took to 3 different shop one said they thought computer one said battery and other said distributor I don't know what to do please help it first started out as a random cutout while driving or maybe call a bog out then keep going
Old 10-09-2014, 04:41 PM
Seasoned Member

The shop said it cleaned throttle body and replaced battery and now is running good. I do not see how that could fix the problem?
Old 10-09-2014, 06:37 PM

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I-6

If the throttle body has a port where a sensor measures airflow, pressure, or something of the sort, I could see how it could be dirty and messing up the engine control signals. Also, if it was REALLY, REALLY dirty I guess it could restrict the airflow enough to make the engine have problems. Otherwise, I don't thing there is much to the throttle body.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:46 PM
Seasoned Member

But would a battery cause misfire they said a cell was dead but it started great I just feel like They replaced battery and erased codes which last time made it run good for about a day then it started again misfiring that's makes me think computer?
Old 10-09-2014, 06:59 PM

I've had a '97 GC for 5 months. Reading on here and Jeep forum I've seen where these have all sorts of issues.

Regarding the shop saying it's your battery, at a certain point in the 90's, the engine electrical wiring harnesses became crappy. So if you had an old weak battery and some wiring connections which were sort of loose or sort of corroded, it could possibly occasionally lose an electrical signal and make the engine run bad or completely die.

About the computer, I've read on here that the PCM (powertrain control module, aka computer, or at least part of it) does have a weakness or two. The soldered electrical connections can crack with age and lead to occasional loss of signal if you hit a bump or something. Also, the wiring harness plugs that connect to the PCM can become loose and/or become corroded and cause the intermittent bogging / dying.

Regarding the distributor, it has a "pickup coil" or camshaft position sensor inside it. If that is not working properly, it is going to cause problems of some sort. Also, if the distributor cap is real dirty or they sometimes get a crack which can cause the electricity to go to the wrong place. Other than that, if something is wrong with the entire distributor itself, such as being worn so badly that the shaft wobbles, I would think it would cause more problems than occasional bogging / dying.

One thing I should have asked first, do you really have misfires or is the Check Engine Light coming on and then when you read it, the code is cylinder misfires.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:04 PM

I have posted a couple of times in the last 2 weeks about a severe dying problem mine developed. It sounds a lot worse than your's. It apparently was a short in the wires to the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Search for my recent posts and you can read the full story.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Well the codes show each individual cylinder misfire but it still running pretty good but I just reset the check engine light twice befor I took to the shop and came back on I just want it too be reliable and ready for drive to work lol
Old 10-10-2014, 03:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Anyone else think a new battery and cleaning throttle body fixed misfires I feel like it just reset codes
Old 10-15-2014, 07:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Well still at the shop they said was fixed then cut out right when pulling out of shop has been there since last Sunday getting very irritated that they can't figure out the misfire